Oakley Sunglasses...still all that?

HJ1976
HJ1976 Posts: 205
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
I have lost my general sunglasses which I used for driving and cycling, and also can't find my 10 year old Oakley Eyeacket which have a broken leg.

Are Oakley still the brand to buy, if not any suggestions for a pair of silver coloured mtb friendly glasses that don' look stupid in daily life? I would prefer to spend no more than £50-£75.

I wear contacts so no prescription issues.

Comments

• Oakley are still the business and there are some reasonably priced ones available that look sweet on or off your bike.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I'm a confirmed Oakley fan - I like the plastic hinges on many of the models, I sit on my shades (accidently) so often, and they just pop back together (would have killed other types many times over); I like the choice of lenses and frame colours; I like the quality of the lenses. I don't think they can be beaten. Good prices and free delivery here
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I love my Oakley Radars. Best sun specs I've owned. With the contrast lenses in they actually do help you pick out objects on the trail.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    I have just 'won' some on Ebay - used but they look good so fingers crossed.
  • Yep, the only brand of eyewear for any sport activity as far as I'm concerned. I use Oakley Fives for cycling - cheap enough to not be a disaster if anything should happen to them, cool enough to wear walking about in normal clothes off the bike.
  • If you hadn't won some already, I would suggest you try www.steptoes.co.uk
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Oakely are still a premium brand with a good product.

A bit like Hope - you get what you pay for.

I've recently bought some Tifosi glasses and have to say that the lenses are very good at half the price.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I theeenk you're responding to a spammer - who is responding to a guy from 11 years ago.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Christ I've just followed the spammer link. No way are those going near my precious eyes !!
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Fenix wrote:
    I theeenk you're responding to a spammer - who is responding to a guy from 11 years ago.

My bad. I hadn't even noticed!

Maybe I need some of his amazing glasses.....
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Always thought of getting a good pair of oakleys but would end up breaking them so bought some of ebay for tenner. was surprised turned up in a hard case, came with 4 lenses and 1 polarized lenses.

not the best but will do me for the time being of late always got something else to pay for.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Oakley are like the sports shoes of the eyewear world. There are plenty of better options, but they’ve paid a lot of high profile sports people to wear their over priced crap, so they’ve ‘nailed it’.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They're not crap MM. They're great quality. I've oakleys that I wear casually and running and they're probably about 15 years old. The only time I broke a pair they replaced them FOC. Yes they're expensive but you know they pass all the safety tests and will last a lifetime. Lots of cheaper glasses won't.

Per wearing they are great value. If you're clumsy or lose things then maybe they're not for you.

For the love of God though don't buy those spammy ones.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Oakley are like the sports shoes of the eyewear world. There are plenty of better options, but they’ve paid a lot of high profile sports people to wear their over priced crap, so they’ve ‘nailed it’.

I think the after sales and replacement is what you pay for, as well as the innovation.

Oakley or Bolle for me.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I was up in the Alps somewhere in 2012 and I had removed my Oakleys while I fixed the rear brake. Then I trod on the Oakleys! :shock: I felt them crunch under my foot. I looked down and the arm had come free of the frame. OMG what was I going to do, they were a prescription spec and I needed them.

But after a close inspection, I just clipped the arm back into its slot and they were as right as rain. I still have that same pair today, as a spare pair (I needed a new prescription a few years ago).

When new, the lens quality is crystal clear. But I believe that the lens material may be a bit soft as it picks up scratches over time, mostly impact from branches and other foliage. So the clarity slowly fades. But by the time it becomes a problem, I need a new prescription anyway.

What I like about the Oakley Straight Jackets I have is that the frame fits around the bony orbit and protects my eyes extremely well indeed. Nothing gets in. I have had impacts to my face so severe that I have left an eyeprint on the inside of the lens, but no breakages and no eye damage either (which is the point as far as I'm concerned).
  • They have made a huge difference in how clearly I can see obstacles on the trail, and they work really well in sun, shade, and transitions.
    I am a more confident rider when I wear them.