Advice required Please! Gear system setup

Chaggy78
Chaggy78 Posts: 28
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi!
I'm building a bike from scratch at the moment and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. Firstly, I have a Shimano XTR Rear Mech and a Truvativ Isoflow crank. Do I need to have an XTR front mech or can I use any mech? Also do I have to have XTR gear shifters so the gears will work or could i use Deore levers or something similar? I'm getting confused! Also will I be able to setup the gearing myself or would it be best to goto a bike shop? Cheers. Any advice welcome!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as the speeds (number of gears the parts are designed for) is the same and they they are shimano compatable you can use anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the advice it was very helpful. But do you think I will be able to set it all up by myself considering I have minimal knowledge? Also do you know if a Truvativ Crank is compatible with Shimano gearing? Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    yes and yes!

Have a look on parktools for good guides.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    With a workstand, decent cable cutters, allen keys, screw drivers and maybe a fourth hand tool you should be fine. Whilst you can use several types of shifters with an XTR rear mech I'd go for XT ones if I were you (budget permitting). Front-mech's a bit less important, the LX one on mine works fine (shifters XT, rear mech was XTR but I broke it and replaced with XT). Get a HG73 or 93 chain to + some spare chain pins.
  • I can't really afford XT Shifters but would Deore LX be o.k? Cheers
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah plenty of £1000+ bikes compromise on the shifters and front mech and have LX for those with a XT or XTR rear mech