ideal weight?

owen_MTB
owen_MTB Posts: 222
edited September 2007 in Health, fitness & training
hi i was wondering if my weight is ideal?
im 5 foot 3 and weigh 7 stone 12 about.
i feel pretty fit, gym biking football etc but still...
cheers =P
It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Body Mass Index (which is a crude measure) is 19.5 which puts you at the lower end of normal but it depends on how old you are and a whole host of other things. A lot of rugby players have high BMIs but could not truely be considered overweight, they are just big blokes....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • glad2
    glad2 Posts: 190
    imho BMI is completley the wrong chart to go off. if you start to do any gym work, or anyhting like that. your bmi goes through the roof. i have a bmi of something like 28, with a bodyfat % of around 14%, which would not be considered brinking on obese, like according to the bmi scale. however your weight does seem very low against your height.
    if you notice this notice, you'll notice this notice is not worth noticing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love the BMI thing.
    I used to work in a place where we had regular medicals, from a really fat nurse. really REALLY fat.

anyway, one of the guys who worked there could practically have been a cover model for Men's Health magazine. He was in awesome shape, and constantly had women swooning.

Unfortunately, the Nurse told him that becasue of his height and weight, we ws morbidly obese! :lol:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ideal for what? Different sports have different ideal weights - Sumo and Marathon running been two extremes. But even in cycling you see different builds: perhaps the 'perfect' climber would have a different build from the 'perfect' time-trailer. I reckon it's the power to weight ratio that really counts most of the time - the same as BMI I guess. Of course this all depends on how strong you are too. 'Fat levels 'vary and be careful not to just compare yourself to others - if you take things too far you can end up been lighter but weaker. i'd take some expert advice tailored to your individual needs.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    ideal for football and biking, mostly xc :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You're fairly light for football. Perhaps focus on strength? You may be 45 but if you are 17 and still growing the don't weight train - it can be bad for you in your teens. To some degree you are stuck with what your born with anyway - assuming that you are fit with a balanced diet. Focus on fitness and strength & don't worry about weight too much - you are clearly not fat anyway. I don't think you'll get good advice online (clearly I include myself in this) - ask a sports nutritionist or a trainer. Perhaps you local college or football club could offer a more meaningful opinion based around you as an individual.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    For climbing the less weight the better, as long as it doesnt affect your strength and stamina. For downhill, the guys tend to be bigger and heavier.
  • cheers lads :)
  • I'm 5 '11, 24 years old and slightly over 9st. I'm the perfect weight for XC. Infact there is no doubt in my mind that I could be professional. I may own a £1500 bike, but I could easily afford a £3500 bike. I have a partner, daughter, and mortgage for £160,000 and would consider it greedy (at the moment) if I went any higher.

Just a query actually. What would be the best way to get a sponsor, or to be recognised in the XC industry.
    spammer
  • I used to weight 9.5 stone (5'8") and was superfit but skinny. Went gym mad and put on almost 3 stone in two years.
    Actually got a bit too heavy (I surf a lot -it got harder, as did running) and toned down to 11.5 stone where I am now. Always had a low bf%, but right now, it's REALLY low!
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • wal2
    wal2 Posts: 13
    Get back over to MSW you :P
  • Pippen33 try finding a way to talk to a pro who is sponsored, they should be able to give you a first hand account on getting sponsored.
  • wal2 wrote:
    Get back over to MSW you :P

I'm not safe ANYWHERE! :roll:

Some of you need to eat more :lol:
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org