Groin Protection

FFC
FFC Posts: 5
edited September 2007 in Health, fitness & training
First time on this board. Yesterday I hit a big rabbit hole but I wasnt going fast enough to go straight over the bars - I hit the bars hard with a soft bit of my anatomy. Three pain killing injections and five stitches in the member of parliament. Not pleasant but I'm not the first and it could have been really serious so the doc in A and E said. So why dont cyclists wear groin protectors? i know there may be a chaffing issue but surely there is a product out there somewhere?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not come across one.

maybe some padding on the stem :wink: and some good cycling shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I've had a ball-to-stem encounter before. Floored me for a good 5 minutes.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • I suspect the reason people don't use groin guards on bikes is that most of them are something like this and would get stuck between you and the saddle in a most uncomfortable way! I remember BMXs in my youth all had padded crossbars and handlebars for this reason - does nobody do that anymore?

*edited to add the comment on BMXs*
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • FFC
    FFC Posts: 5
    Those down hill dudes with body armour must use something but then they dont have to peddle much I guess. Youre right shadowduck, nothing out there that is reasonable - i thought maybe a bit more anotomic padding in shorts might be available. I tell you - I dont want this again....I've had a few knocks between groin and bike before but NOTHING like this.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most dont bother but there is these

no groin protection
    9573.jpg

same again
    2398.jpg

TBH not seen any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown