advice needed on fitness

Rammy-1
Rammy-1 Posts: 25
how many miles a day would u recommend i should do on a bike 2 keep fit and 2 get into good shape

Comments

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Would probably help if you provided some more information about yourself, such as age and current fitness level/weight. Look at some of the other forum threads or buy a MTB training book for some advice :D
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Basically ride till you'r knackered, do that for a while till it gets too easy, then gradually increase the distance. I started off just riding 2 miles to work, which completely bolloxed me for a while i was so unfit, now i do 20 mile rides after work 5 days a week, and some 40-50 milers on weekends when i have more time. I have lost over 3 stone since March.

As Amos said, there is no exact figure, it all depends on your current fitness level, weight, age, resting heart rate etc. The best thing you can do is get a decent heart rate monitor (i use the Sigma PC-9 which i am very happy with) and aim to be in the power zone as much as possible without going over your max heart rate (which is determined by your gender, age and weight). Drink at least 3 litres of water a day and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Bananas are very good for exersizing as they contain more complex sugares which are longer lasting, unlike simple sugars in junk food which kive you a short high followed by a low which makes you want to eat more crap. I used to be addicted to very sugary foods (and yes i do beleave you can get addicted to cirtain foods). Also foods high in carbs and mono unsaturates like chicken and fish.

HTH,

Andy.