Commuting luggage

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
I think what I'm looking for is whatever the old style saddle bag has now evolved into.

I'm currently using a under saddle wedge bag to hold the emergency kit (spare tube, CO2 inflator, multitool etc.)

I also use a small rucksack for waterproof jacket and decent size 'snap' box, which over the winter will also include spare lights etc.

Basically I'm wanting something to get the rucksack off my back. I don't want a handlebar bag. I've already got one for our lasses bike and I've got HRM & cycle computer mounted on there anyway.

As I've said, I dont carry anywhere near enough to warrant panniers. Probably a max I'd use would be about 5lt

So, anyone got recommendations?

Comments

• Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I usually just use one small pannier but if you are looking for something smaller I also use one of these Saddlebags, it still got plenty of room for the jacket and lights etc.
  • Gambatte
    Thanks Aidocp, no comment on price got a bit more detailed info on here:
    http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ortleib/saddlebag.htm.

Generally at 2.7Lt the large would be big enough, however on occasion I would probably need slightly bigger
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Topeak do a few bags in the MTX range. That's what I use. A nice small pack - but I have the one with optional fold-out panniers if/when required.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    How about something from these guys http://www.carradice.co.uk/type.htm
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    An SQR fitting and the carradice long flap camper is the dog's particulars for my purposes.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    BentMikey wrote:
    An SQR fitting and the carradice long flap camper is the dog's particulars for my purposes.
    Ha! That is very cool, exactly what I've been looking for. Assume you need to dump the carbin seatpost to use of those though.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yes, though I have a langster with a metal seatpost, so no problem. It's funny how age changes your views - when I was at school I would never ever have had such a thing on my bike, and now I regard it as quite cool!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Bentmikey, so right!

Got a spare ally post around so I can just stick that on. Not too attached to the carbon post, makes me nervous anyway.
  • Gambatte
    Yeah, the carradice bags look nice.

However, as commuting is 50% about cutting my expenses, I reckon I'll probably wait till the clocks go back. That gives me 2 months to prove to myself its something I'll continue with over the winter.

Probably looking at the 'Barley'

Anyone using the 'Bagman' support?

My saddle doesn't have the bag fixing loops, does the bagman solve this?

If I do it 5 days a week, I should have £200 minimum in the bank to finance it....
  • Gambatte
    Sod it, orders just been placed.

Gone for the Barley, hopefully be on the bike by the weekend!
  • Bit late now, really, but I use the Carradice Slim with the SQR fitting. Just the right size for commuting, provided you leave suits/shoes at work, and has the advantage that it will take A4.
  • Gambatte
    The goods had arrived when I got home. Bag and seat clamp.

Very impressed, very happy.
  • BentMikey wrote:

...and for me. Highly recommended.

I've also got one of the smaller Barley saddlebags for day trips.