two-person tent recommendations

cycladelic
cycladelic Posts: 641
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of buying a tent to take on tour.

Obviously it should be light, compact, easy to put up, etc: What do you suggest?

TIA
It's an uphill climb to the bottom

Comments

• Will you be purchasing in UK or Taiwan? Where will you be using the tent?
  • cycladelic
    I may buy one here - if I can get a good one that's suitable. I had a quick look in a local camping shop this afternoon and saw a nice one for about 70 quid (cheap!). But it weightd 2.7kg, which seems a bit much. I noticed it was made in China - but couldn't see the make.
  • cycladelic
    I may use it in Asia, but am thinking long-term... so maybe South America, etc, too.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    The Puppy Pile Too http://tinyurl.com/3dx2v5 Huge, 853 grams, free standing, fast to put up, packs up very, very small, well ventilated, costs a packet.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    cycladelic wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a tent to take on tour.

Obviously it should be light, compact, easy to put up, etc: What do you suggest?

TIA

If you are buying in the UK check out the Classic Squal at

http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatal ... Tents.html

ifnot just visit www.tarptent.com
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    cycladelic wrote:
    I may buy one here - if I can get a good one that's suitable. I had a quick look in a local camping shop this afternoon and saw a nice one for about 70 quid (cheap!). But it weightd 2.7kg, which seems a bit much. I noticed it was made in China - but couldn't see the make.

My Vango tents, although sold from a Scottish based HQ are made in China. I wouldn't get too hung up on country of amnufacture unless you have ethical reasons.

I am happy with my Vango two man tents. They are in the same weight range as the tent that you've looked at. If you think that the tent is a tad heavy - go on a diet and lose the equivalent 'excess'.

Two man tents offer more flexibility and wriggle room than one man tents especially if one is more amply endowed with lard :D

Tents like bikes are subjective choices. Have a look at www.cheaptents.co.uk for a decent selection.
  • cycladelic
    Many thanks for these tips.

That Puppy Pile Too tent is quite a lot of dosh. How do they justify that - low wieght?

And the Squall tent looks nice and light, but it's not cheap either. Those two-person Vangos look good. I'll get some more spec details on the one I have seen here and then decide.

Cheers.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    The PP is made of parachute fabric with carbon fibre poles. A no expense spared approach. I got mine made with 2 doors, for ultimate ventilation. It was still under 1 kg. Pricey, but I hope to be living in it for long periods.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • I haven't seen one up close yet (soon to visit NY, i'm hoping to have a look at one when i go there), but i've heard very good things about the Big Agnes Seedhouse range:

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tent_series.php?id=shsl

I've used a Hilleberg Nallo GT2 which comes highly regarded by a lot of people, especially as you can bring the bikes into the porch, but I think its a bit OTT for one person travel. It is a fantastic design though.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • My recent experience has been with a very small Terra Nova tent, the Laser, which is great for solo camping when trekking:
    http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/epages/terr ... iew/43LAG#

For cycle touring, I'm seriously considering the Superlight Solar 2.2:
    http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/epages/terr ... iew/432SL#
  • cycladelic
    Thanks, Philip and RunawayPuma

That 'Superlite' Solar 2.2 weighs in at 2.1kg when packed, which doesn't seem super light for 350 quid.

I'll pop back to my local camping store and get some spec details this afernoon - the one I looked at was similar in design to this Solar tent.
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    I can highly recommend the Golite Hex 3, i take it you will be using it for touring and that as you need a two man there will be two of you. If that is the case you could get the separate inner tent two and share the load with you partner. These tents are very lightweight and is classed as a 3 man at a push. As a 2 man you will have bags of room. I have seen these tents used in the most demanding environments all over the world and thanks to the tipi shape and use a single pole they are possibly the strongest 4 season tents out there despite there lightweight appearance. They are cheap two.

If you go for the inner option you can use this on its own in the tropics.

Here is a link to the GoLite site http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=SH6106&s=1

And here is some reviews http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewProductReviews/mps/rpn/3429/prod/GoLite-Hex-3/rcn/86/rgn/11/sp/332473698948330828282/v/1

This is what i had to say about the Hex 3 on cyclechat
    I use a kiva but a lot of the guys i work with use these and we spend many nights out all year round. The go light is an ideal one man tent and will happily take two but 3 would be a squeeze.

The Tent is light and strong and can take the the worst whether mother nature can through at us. Single pole tipi style tents are some of the lightest and strongest tents out there, they are designed to be used on snow caps and glaciers.

We use our the outer tent only but both tents do have a separate inner with floor but these are bought separately and almost double the weight and pack size of the tent. I have never found i have needed an inner tent though not even in the worst weather.

Some people think it is strange having a tent with no floor but it makes life so much easier. You can were your boot in it and thanks to the size you can cook very safely in it. I carry a tarp to use under my sleeping bag to keep it off the floor. One point is that you will get a lot of condensation but all tents do you just dont see it thanks to the inner, the size of these tents mean the condensation is not an issue because you are lot likely to touch the sides.

If i did not have the Kiva which is 4 man i would definitely have the go lite Hex.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • cycladelic
    Thanks again for the links. Please keep 'em coming.

adifidler, yes - there will be two people in the tent. Hopefully.

Below is a link to the website of my local camping store. It's obviously in Chinese, but you can see a picture of the tent I'm interested in:

http://www.metroasis.com.tw/product_det ... b=&c=44455

The bottom figure '4050 'is the price - NT$4050, which is about 62 quid at today's rate. It weighs 2.7kg.

I think the '5000mm' relates to it's waterproofness. However, when I looked at the one in the store this afternoon, it said 4,000mm on the packet. It also stated the materials were 210T and 185T for the outter and inner pieces respectively. And the ali' tubes are 7000-T6: I have no idea what all this really means.

They also have a slightly smaller one for about 5 quuid less (58 quid), which weighs 2.4kg. Here it is:

http://www.metroasis.com.tw/product_det ... b=&c=44456

I don't think I'm going to be living in a tent - it's just an emergency thing in case I get stuck somewhere. That's why I'm reluctant to spalsh out big bucks on one.
  • adifiddler
    cycladelic wrote:
    I don't think I'm going to be living in a tent - it's just an emergency thing in case I get stuck somewhere. That's why I'm reluctant to spalsh out big bucks on one.

What sort of emergency thing are you thinking of? I will have a better understanding of what might best suit you. Are we talking national disasters, earthquakes or just been stranded over night whilst on a long ride or trip away from home.

How will you be carrying this extra burden?
  • TheNomad
    TheNomad Posts: 45
    The figure such as "5000mm" is the hydrostatic head of the fabric, i.e. it would take a column of water 5000mm (5 metres) tall for the material to leak. Anything over 3000mm is perfectly fine for all but the most severe of hurricanes or monsoons. I use a 3000mm breathable bivvy for fishing and have never suffered any leakage whatsoever even in the heaviest of downpours and strong winds adding pressure to the rain (we have certainly had enough of them this year so far!!!).
  • cycladelic
    Nothing too serious, adfiddler. It's just in case I can't find a B&B somewhere.

It's the weight/cost ratio that I'm battling with.
  • cycladelic, I think if its just an emergency shelter you want, you should look at some of the very light own brand tents you sometimes get in outdoor shops. Depends on what you have locally, but I've seen sub 2kg tents for a fraction of the price of the ones discussed in various 'own brand' type outlets or from cheaper brand names. They probably wouldn't last long, but if its just for emergency that shouldn't matter. Even the likes of Aldi or Lidl in Europe do them.

Also, for an emergency, perhaps you should look at something like tarps. They are very light and fine if you have a good sleeping bag.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • adifiddler
    I would suggest a bivi bag and or a poncho/tarp.

You can get new British army bivy bags for around £40 and they are great, my 3x3 meter tarp cost £30 and is great although its in DPM, a plain coloured one is normally a little cheaper.
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    I've just bought a Gelert 2 man nakina plus (2.8kg) from a local shop for £20. 1500mm hydro head, separate inner, one pole to erect. should be enough for 3 seasons.Will be testing it next week with a 4 day tour from glasgow to newcastle.
  • nasz
    nasz Posts: 88
    We cycled from London to Sydney unsupported and looked very hard for a two man tent, light and durable. After two months search, we finally decided on the Wechsel Zero-G Outpost tent - which after one year on the road was superb! Light to carry, easy to put up/away, airy and spacious - best tent we've ever had! ...and we've had a few believe me!

http://www.wechsel-tents.de/www/index.p ... 916&lan=en

Wechsel are very helpful too! So if you email them, say hi from Nuts on Bents for us.
    ________o
    _____~\<,_
    ____(_)/ (_)
    Lunicus Cycle Club - LCC - Train hard, ride easy...
    www.lunicuscc.co.uk
    www.nutsonbents.com - London to Sydney on Recumbents 2005/6
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    I made a list of some outer pitching first two man tents a few months ago - probably still valid, though the models change fast.

Wechsel White Nites (Zero G) 2.5Kg 42X14 2 @£280 www.wechsel-tents.de
    Mountain equipment Dragonfly 2.1Kg (xt 2.5) ? 2 @£261 (XT @£316) http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/
    Fjallraven Akka Shape R/S 2 2.3KG 34x? 3 @£310 http://www.fjallraven.com/
    Terra Nova Laserlarge1 1.62Kg 56X17 2 @£300 www.terra-nova.co.uk
    Vaude Ferret I Ultralight 1.9Kg 53X15 2 @£164 www.vaude.de

Terra nova laser 1.42KG 56X16cm 2 @£260 www.terra-nova.co.uk
    Salewa Zodiac 2 1.89 40X30x12 1-2 @£200 www.salewa.com
    Spacepacker plus Mk1 2.2Kg 48X13 2 @£299 www.robertsaunders.co.uk
    Spacepacker MK 1 1.9Kg 44X13 2 @£269 www.robertsaunders.co.uk
    Macpac Stellar 2.5Kg 59x17 2 @£290 www.macpac.co.nz

Helsport Fjellheimen 15X42 2.0Kg 2 @£400 http://www.helsport.no
    Hilleberg Nallo2 1.9kg 15X45 @£390 2 www.hilleberg.se

coleman Avior 2 - 2.6Kg 40X15 (2) @£98 www.coleman.com

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • Today i saw my IBS advertising this, the topeak bikamper tent. It looks quite interesting. I would be interested in testing one.

6650.jpg
  • nasz
    nasz Posts: 88
    adifiddler wrote:
    Today i saw my IBS advertising this, the topeak bikamper tent. It looks quite interesting. I would be interested in testing one.

6650.jpg

Lol - My friend has one! He'll sell it to you, as he hates the thing! PM me if you're interested.

He's used it three times, first time someone tried to take the bike and the whole tent came down, second night the wind came up from the bike end and uprooted the front (he thought he would take off!).

Depends where you're considering touring really - in the UK, you'll attract people wanting to pinch your bike. Just make sure you don't use it in windy weather :p
    ________o
    _____~\<,_
    ____(_)/ (_)
    Lunicus Cycle Club - LCC - Train hard, ride easy...
    www.lunicuscc.co.uk
    www.nutsonbents.com - London to Sydney on Recumbents 2005/6
  • Which ever tent you decide on make sure you have a porch, so you can cook in the rain with out beeing out and more importantly in the tent. Fire, fumes need to be considered and not the I will be carefull attitude as its only a matter of time..
  • one thing to say to you:

coleman rigel x2

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp? ... meFrom=png
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!