bipedal Posts: 466
edited October 2007 in Pro race

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Excellent move for Brad.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    About 25 years ago, there was a sketch on "Not the Nine O'Clock News" where Pamela Stephenson read "Today, actor Sir John Gielgud defended his role in the file "Caligula", saying there was no mention of sex or violence when he read the original pay-check"

Looks like Bradley is getting nose-down in the trough with the rest of them.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:

9/10

Good work Sir.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He's won today (here) so I wonder if that'll increase his salary demands.

T-Mobile will have a very anglo look to it next year what with Wiggins, Hammond, Cavendish, Hincapie, Rogers, Hansen and Barry (not sure if I missed anyone).

Maybe it is true that all English speaking riders are clean and the rest are just dirty foreign drugs cheats? :wink:
  • iainf72
    I'd love to be there when someone tells Wiggins to go out and set the time markers for George to use in a prologue.
  • LangerDan
    Much as the T-mobile of the 7-10 years ago was top-heavy with Tour GC riders, the current set-up seems very biased towards bunch sprinters, especially when you throw Ciolek into the mix. Last week I saw their new signing Edvald Boasson Hagen in action - he's awesomely fast and seems to be capable of sprinting over 400 metres, rather than the ~200 metres that is the normal domain of young sprinters. I think the toys will be thrown out of the pram by some of the young sprinters when team orders are applied.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd love to be there when someone tells Wiggins to go out and set the time markers for George to use in a prologue.

More likely the other way around!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    rdaviesb wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Hmmmm. Who finished where in Wiggins' back yard?

Regarding all the sprinters in magenta I'd say Ciolek is untouchable numero uno and head and shoulders above the rest in terms of quality. Cavendish is there for the GT that Ciolek doesn't want plus more minor races (Eneco Tour anybody). Eisel is a lead out man deluxe and Hincapie has NEVER EVER been a sprinter.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    rdaviesb wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

No chance.

Hincapie is a better bet for prologues AND is more valuable to the American market.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Has Hincapie actually signed for T-Mobile?

Wiggins has made a good decision and T-Mobile (tut' mobile in Yorkshire) will get plenty of publicity for him. As good as he is, he's only got the Dauphiné to his name (plus Olympic medals for riding indoors on wooden boards) and if he won today, it was probably in the smallest pro race you can find. I hope he can step up and achieve even more...
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    Wiggins has made a good decision and T-Mobile (tut' mobile in Yorkshire) will get plenty of publicity for him. As good as he is, he's only got the Dauphiné to his name (plus Olympic medals for riding indoors on wooden boards) and if he won today, it was probably in the smallest pro race you can find. I hope he can step up and achieve even more...

As long as he gives in and gets with the T-Mobile programme, he'll be fine.

:D
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    My goodness.....Ridgerider will be ecstatic :lol: ... more PTP points (perhaps)
  • LangerDan wrote:

Sorry mate, I have no idea what you mean. He is a professional cyclist. He tries to earn as much as he can for the short period he can ride. T Mobile pays more, presumably. What exactly are you saying? I honestly have no idea.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LangerDan wrote:

Sorry mate, I have no idea what you mean. He is a professional cyclist. He tries to earn as much as he can for the short period he can ride. T Mobile pays more, presumably. What exactly are you saying? I honestly have no idea.

It's quite simple TV ,langer dan is part of the elite club on this forum who know bugger all about cycling but try to impress their 'friends,' iain Dave_i andyp et el, by coming out with snide remarks .
    Doubt they even ride bikes.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It's funny, but I've always thought of T-Mobile as being almost a German national team disguised as a trade team. Times change.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan wrote:

Bradley has consistently taken a very vocal position on drug abuse in the peleton, particularly institutionalised drug programmes within squads. He was, no doubt, very disappointed with team-mate Moreni's positive in the Tour. Yet, for all the shadow-boxing,he signs with a squad who over the past decade have been worse than all the Astanas and Gam-Relax's put together. A team who trumpeted a new, clean, anti-drugs policy that relied heavily on new tests developed by a doctor, who spent much the past ten years administering EPO. A team that changed the boss and left most of the staff in place. A team, who ,whenever presented with admissions of wrong-doing of said staff members, just smile like an indulgent parent and clutch the vipers even closer to their collective bosum. In other words, a Festina for the Noughties.

Treize Vents, I fully agree with you that a pro-cyclist's careers is a short one and a rider has to maximise his earnings. I just fell that his choice of squad has compromised his position.
  • LangerDan
    whitley wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

It's quite simple TV ,langer dan is part of the elite club on this forum who know bugger all about cycling but try to impress their 'friends,' iain Dave_i andyp et el, by coming out with snide remarks .

Busted! And I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    Busted! And I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

I reckon he saw our secret handshake.

In addition to not riding bikes, I'm also overweight. (Both of these are true for future insults)
  • Anonymous
    No surprise there then.
    You a woman as well?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Wouldn't Wiggins going to T-Mobile be a sign that their program you guys are so goddamn cynical about could be for real? And if it's all a load of bullsh!t, don't you think Wiggins, vocal as he is, would speak up? Why does it always have to be negative? Can anybody ever get a second chance?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    whitley wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

Haven't you given up yet?
  • LangerDan
    drenkrom wrote:
    Wouldn't Wiggins going to T-Mobile be a sign that their program you guys are so goddamn cynical about could be for real? And if it's all a load of bullsh!t, don't you think Wiggins, vocal as he is, would speak up? Why does it always have to be negative? Can anybody ever get a second chance?

Cycling had its second chance post-Festina (and many more chances since). Since T-Mobile have been given their second chance, we've had the revelations about Lothar Heinrich and Pat Sinkewitz's positive test.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    LangerDan wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

Cycling had its second chance post-Festina (and many more chances since). Since T-Mobile have been given their second chance, we've had the revelations about Lothar Heinrich and Pat Sinkewitz's positive test.

langerdan
    The peleton didn´t learn from the Festina scandal it seems. With operation puerto, why should we assume peleton will suddenly listen and change this time? I have a list of riders I hope, I believe, are clean...the Brits on T mobile, Moncoutier, Gilbert, Boonen, Millar...they are the guys I follow...the others, not so sure
  • iainf72
    drenkrom wrote:

Thing is with Wiggins is he's all mouth no trousers IMO.

Witness when there was the rider protest in the Tour this year. He wrote that Moreni showed signs because he didn't take part, but then Bradley also didn't take part because he had friends up the road? Hello Mr Pot, allow me to introduce you to Mr Kettle. He see's things as the way he wants to, not as they neccessarily are.

As for T-Mobile, one or two things I'd let slide, but the sheer volume of wierdness, covered very well by Dan leads me to believe it's pure marketing BS.
  • Anonymous
    Dave_1 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

langerdan
    The peleton didn´t learn from the Festina scandal it seems. With operation puerto, why should we assume peleton will suddenly listen and change this time? I have a list of riders I hope, I believe, are clean...the Brits on T mobile, Moncoutier, Gilbert, Boonen, Millar...they are the guys I follow...the others, not so sure

Peloton ,numpty.
  • ricadus wrote:
    It's funny, but I've always thought of T-Mobile as being almost a German national team disguised as a trade team. Times change.

Yeah, things change constantly. There are, according to my best information 13 different nationalities on the T Mobile team, just before the Tour. This is less than the "American" Discovery team which had 15. However they are not all like that, there is the nearly totally Basque Euskatel to take nearly the only example. Even Bouygues has caved in and hired some foreigners. There just are no national teams anymore. Although to hear the commentators you would think so. Its like footie.
  • iainf72 wrote:

I guess coming to this forum a bit late means I don't know all the codes yet. What exactly does this mean about Wiggins. What would "having trousers" consist of? I live in France so might be missing some of the details. At least his mouth is bilingual.
  • iainf72 wrote:

almost as amusing as seeing big georgie have a go at the pursuit with no help. Not sure I'd love to see it though.. :wink:
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    iainf72 wrote:

I guess coming to this forum a bit late means I don't know all the codes yet. What exactly does this mean about Wiggins. What would "having trousers" consist of? I live in France so might be missing some of the details. At least his mouth is bilingual.

I think you'll find he's talking out of his @rse. I doubt he's ever met Wiggins or indeed anyone from T-Mobile ahd formulates his opinions from message boards.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

It's just an expression

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... users.html