what gear do you need for starting mtb

mtb guy
mtb guy Posts: 8
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
i've got intrested in mouintain biking after i picked up an MBUK magazine. I already have a bike but i was wondering if i needed helmet, gloves and any other bits and bobs that would come in useful.

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I would say the most crucial is a helmet, gloves and some padded shorts. A small toolkit, spare tube and pump is also handy incase of emergency..
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    i would definetely get a helmet and gloves if you are starting because its very likely you are going to come off sometime or another.
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    yes to the helmet, but i agree with mog uk...the padded shorts are a MUST! best thing i bought. if you're tight for cash the gloves in my opinion can wait. but if you can afford them now get them. they're pretty cheap. use chain reaction cycles for stuff, they're cheap, have a good selection and the delivery etc is first rate.
  • mtb guy
    mtb guy Posts: 8
    thanks for all your help ill bear it in mind
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    you need a bike

lol soz havin a blonde mo...
  • no
  • As well as the essential helmet, get some stuff to maintain your bike, like cleaning fluid and chain lubricant. Quite apart from stopping your bike being crusty, it's essential if you keep it in your house... :lol:
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Good bit of kit for me was a local ordnance survey map. Find all those hidden doorstep trails, you didn't know about and the best ways to link them up.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Gambatte wrote:
    Good bit of kit for me was a local ordnance survey map. Find all those hidden doorstep trails, you didn't know about and the best ways to link them up.

I agree. I've also been using multimap recently as you can get the OS Landranger information and you can print out the sections you want. Great for marking up routes (I don't like doing it on my bought maps) and it doesn't matter if they get wrecked as you can print some more for the next ride. Although that said I have laminated some at work.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    Apart from safety gear, always take water and a waterproof with you.
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    As Bromski said, take water, so if you can afford one buy a camelbak or another type of hydration pack, you can also take some spares and food when your out on the trail.
  • If your doing any jumps or anything for first time might want a box to protect your privates. Nothing worse than crushed testies :shock:
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • You will also need some beer money.

If you have loadsa money it's quite good to have a decent set of lights for night riding (try Lumicycle and Light&Motion) and a Garmin Edge 305 so you kow where you went afterwards (indeed you can even enter route details in beforehand so you don't get lost!). However neither of these is as essential as the beer money.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1