panniers full of goodies

kev2b3
kev2b3 Posts: 159
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
just started commuting 6 weeks ago, decided to buy a set of 17ltrs panniers because i am fed up with ruc sacks. so i just want to know what sort of stuff you carry in your paniers while out for a long ride.

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I carry the minimum I can get away with... And then, every month or so, dig in and take out the stuff that I find collects there. (Chewing gum wrappers etc... I dunno - it must be like what having a hand-bag is like?) :roll:

I carry shirts in to work once a fortnight or so. So it really just depends on what i'll need for the day. Lunch. Maybe a jacket. I don't like waterproof jackets so I avoid carrying one unless I really feel the need.

The only time I really load them up is if I've bought stuff and I'm carrying it home. Bike stuff, clothes, or more-often, groceries.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    pump, spare tube, multi tool, tyre levers, puncture repair kit - plus i only tend to us one pannier.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I carry a Spare Tube , p##ture repair kit and a jacket, and a fresh shirt I can change into when I get work and a small scruch bag, in winter I also add overtrowsers. Usually there's enough space if I need to get any messages (groceries) on the way home, if not the scrunch bag is there. The Keys, wallet and phone are sometimes in there also along with other items.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    much the same as above, tubes,tyre levers, few tools etc. If weather especially bad dry gloves,overshoes,jacket for trip home. Nothing worse than pulling on cold,wet gear for the journey home when its freezing cold outside. On a sunday ride in the winter might take a flask of coffee for half way round and a few bickies. Can't beat a few home comforts. :roll:
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I've found that the bigger the bag, the more stuff you find to put in it!!! Best to keep it light. I never use most of the stuff in my bag.
  • I have a spare tube, tyre levers, a scrunch-down waterproof jacket, a spanner, an allan key set, a pair of pliers, several bungee cords and a couple of pairs of latex gloves. Sometimes my lights and pump live in there as well. I also tend to have some jeans, a T-shirt and a pair of socks all rolled up to change in to once I get to work (I tend to keep my work shoes and a jumper in my desk at work, rather than lugging them with me).

I could easily fit all that in one pannier, but I still take two with me in case I buy stuff in town and need to get it home.
  • I only use one pannier for the commute, used to have to be careful I didn't overload it and make the bike unstable until I bought an ABUS heavyweight lock that weights even more and counterbalences it!

I try and make sure I've always some money in my pannier for emergencies, except that the biggest emergency is that it always seems to make its way to the vending machine at work!

I leave my trousers at work so I only need to bring a shirt in every day
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead