Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • eh..... the chain!!
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • because it gets clogged up with shyte
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • I probably clean the chain on my MTB about once a year, but my bike is allergic to soft mud. :oops:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It depends on the environment you are cycling the bike in and how dirty you are getting it. Primarily this depends on how wet it is.

As a rule of thumb, I probably find myself doing it only once or twice over the summer (although more often this summer) but once or twice a week during the winter. You should generally notice when it's necessary, the bike will not go as smoothly. Certainly cleaning makes a phenomenal difference.

Note this is spray with Muc-Off and use cloth/brush on it, I'm not taking the chain off the bike twice a week!
  • As I'm not a fan of oily chains I degrease my chain once a week as part of the clean - a few zips through the chain cleaning doofah using Halfrauds citrous degreaser then an extensive clean of each link using baby wipes, before drying off using paper towels.. Once the rest of the bike is washed, rear wheel back in place etc it's one drop of Finish Line wet lube per link, overnight soak and wipe off the excess the next day.

Having stripped my MTB freehub & drive-side rear wheel bearings dry of grease using muc-off on the cassette it's never going near my Fulcrums! I use folded over baby wipes in-between the sprockets to bring the cassette back to a like-new shine, and take the cassette off and give it a really good clean once a month or so.
  • Gunk and a toothbrush should cover all your degreasing needs. toothbrush.gif

A good scrub, wash off, then a dose of Finish Line Wet Lube (or Pro Road Lube if you want something swanky).

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast