Wild Wales

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Did anyone else do this?

What a cracking day we had for it...and the friendliness of the participants was outstanding...even though I was a lone Scotsman down to have a pop...I had company all the way round.

After 6 miles we hit the 1st climb...and what a climb!...1:5 gradients which practically floored half the folks...this set the tone for the entire day....not one bit of flat...and 90% of the hills were always 1:6 - 1:4....there was only one huge long normal climb which went on for miles before dropping mad steeply in Carno....the feedstations were superb, no signage on this one though and people could have got lost but I'd studied the route and was well ok and even if you dont read maps/directions well theres alwys loads of chaps heading the correct way.

After 70 miles of continious up/down we hit the finally...Bwlch Y Groes the steep way followed by the Hirnant Pass...Not going to rattle on too much about Bwlch Y Groes, its just plain awful and along with Hardknott West and Wrynose East its the toughest climb out there...then the Hirnant Pass....this was also very sore...steep start and middle section and dragging on forever...was well happy to get over it...

For me , along with the FWC was the toughest ride i've ever did...total relentless...like I said no flat at all!...and tons of real steep nasty climbs...and finishing with those monsters!

A great day out, well organised and great atmosphere...I just loved it...

Anyone else do this

Comments

• pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I did my first Wild Wales last year and swore that I would be lighter and fitter for this years event......I wasn't!!

But what a fantastic day in the saddle. The route was as enjoyable as it was challenging the scenery was amazing and I can second RICHBOYS comments on the friendliness of the event and riders. If you haven't ridden it then I can heartily recommend you do so next year.

I managed to crawl round in a little over 11 hours and just about managed to get in without lights, but I did manage to ride every foot of the way. After walking a fair distance last year I was well chuffed with myself.

Can't wait to have a crack at next years route. Especially as I'll be lighter and fitter next time.....HONEST!!
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I'm always amazed that they can plan out such good (challenging, scenic) and yet utterly different routes every year – if it was the same route each time, like so many challenge/sportive rides then it would stilll be good but it's that unknown factor that makes the difference. In that respect it's like a CTC version of the Etape du Tour.
  • Heaney
    Heaney Posts: 85
    Terrific wasn't it? My third and I'd promised myself I wouldn't walk any of it this year. I even got a practice ride on the ByG so that it wouldn't hang over my ride like a bogeyman waiting for me at the end. In the event I ground to a halt just before the last right hand bend before the top, couldn't get out of the pedals in time and fell over in a gasping heap. I didn't know my glasses had fallen off my head until I started down towards Vyrnwy so I had to walk back down for them. Serves me right for walking.
    Next year I'm not going to walk!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heaney wrote:
    Terrific wasn't it? My third and I'd promised myself I wouldn't walk any of it this year. I even got a practice ride on the ByG so that it wouldn't hang over my ride like a bogeyman waiting for me at the end. In the event I ground to a halt just before the last right hand bend before the top, couldn't get out of the pedals in time and fell over in a gasping heap. I didn't know my glasses had fallen off my head until I started down towards Vyrnwy so I had to walk back down for them. Serves me right for walking.
    Next year I'm not going to walk!

Hitting that at 70 very very hard miles was real tough going...the climb of ByG is also one of those headjobs...looking at the sheer length and severity of it can mess the head up, it really is a true killer....the bit where you ground to a halt is the steepest part -yes?...this part is very difficult but I thought I only had round the blind corner to go after that bit but was severely shocked to see how far I still had to go afterwards...true monster!...I managed in my 30 x 27 triple...I still had a bit in me at the top but not much....you could easily fail on such a climb....its equal toughest climb i've ever did in the UK(and maybe abroad)...Respect!

I loved cycling North Wales...and I'll be back next year for more punishment!
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Excellent day out. This was my 17th WWC, it was the easiest for a few years but still hurt up the Bwlch. Actually rode it all!
    Superb scenic route, was well pleased with the whole thing.
  • ricadus
    You must have enough slate plaques to tile a wall.
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Yes, I must ask them to supply square ones!
  • ricadus
    I wish for once they would route the start of the ride from Llanuwchllyn (at the west end of Bala lake) west over the hills towards Coed y Brenin. It's a great climb with loads of false summits to wear down the rider.

It seems it was a regular feature in the 1990s, but I've been riding WWC since 2002 and it's never been included – though I did ride it myself a couple of years ago the day before WWC as a warm-up ride that looped back round through Dolgellau and over Bwlch y Groes.