Any routes around Barnstaple, Bideford & Westward Ho!?

jaredpace
jaredpace Posts: 111
Just been placed on a construction site in Westward Ho! for the next three/four months. I am looking for good routes around the area between 20-50 miles. Does anyone know any or maybe a good bike shop which could provide me with maps etc?
Jared

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    there are awesome routes out of westward ho.

do you like hills?

there is a fairly road-orientated bke shop in barnstaple called bikeshed, they might be able to help. it's on the square.

hilly 55 miles:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1276528

and i stress, hilly, but stunningly beautiful, across the top of the moors, down into the exe valley, undulating and quite hard work along some of the most beautiful rolling countryside in the UK.

NB: if you're after flat rides, and i mean FLAT, the 'tarka trail' runs along the taw and torridge valleys, from bideford to torrington or barnstaple, then out the other side to braunton. it's an old railway line that has been tarmacked. it runs along the estuary and is worth doing at least once. it's also the quickest route to barnstaple.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1276537 - this one is longer, but you should try and get out to the moor at least once, maybe stick the bike in the back of the car. this route heads up to where the tour is visiting in september. the descent into lynmouth and ascent to lynton is a once in a lifetime. if you don't die going down, you'll perish coming up.
  • jaredpace
    jaredpace Posts: 111
    peejay78 Thanks for the info. I certainly like the look of the hilly 55 miler. Perfect training for my upcoming trip to the Pyrenees!! If I'm tight on time it looks like I can always cut the ride short which might be handy. Once again, thanks for the extensive info, it's appreciated!
    Jared
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    there are no end of loops you can ride.

even the main roads aren't that bad - just avoid the 361 at all costs.

ride out to torrington and back through barnstaple, that's fun.

should be good!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Do the Tarka Trail from Barnstaple to Meeth and back that is about 50 miles....stop off at the pub at Torrington station :D
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano