Pat McQuaid interview on BBC

ricadus
ricadus Posts: 2,379
edited August 2007 in Pro race
Pat McQuaid in 30 minute interview on BBC News 24's Hardtalk programme - just starting now.

Introduced by the Beeb as "the world's most discredited sport". :?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The HardTalk interviews are always very good and being able to watch them online is a fantastic resource. Hopefully they will upgrade the quality soon to bring them in line with other BBC streaming stuff.

I would also recommend watching the interview with Swedish heptathlete Carolina Kluft. I didn't find her take on doping particularly convincing - banging on about how meticulous she is and how hard she trains, sounded like a recently retired multiple TdF winner! God I've become cynical...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I've watched it. The interview takes place in the UCI's velodrome, presumably because Pat McQuaid's got so much stuff swept under the carpet in his office that it would be impractical to go there.

McQuaid delivers a brilliant "crisis, what crisis" intro and then goes on to claim cycling has the same ratio of positive dope tests as other sports. And I thought the pro riders were the ones in denial.

In his defence, there's no doubt the UCI has toughened up its act but targeting dope cheats and introducing more varied tests should have happened a decade ago. But McQuaid's attitude seems half of the problem, he's not offering the leadership the sport needs so much.