Schwalbe Marathon Supreme

sicknewt
sicknewt Posts: 181
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Anyone used Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres???

Want some slickish tyres for my MTB as I do 12 miles commuting each day.

I want something that looks good but is not too heavy and these seem to fit the bill...

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Had them fitted to my Thorn Raven for last six months or so including trip to Corsica. Not wishing to tempt fate, but no ......... yet!
    Probably heavier than other options, but seem quite good in wet & look pretty robust!
    Also not difficult to fit despite the experiences of others struggling to get them on the rims!
  • I use a crosser for commuting, in fact pretty much for everything. I am about to fit my 3rd set of tyres this YEAR. And that is since Xmas. First set of tyres were Schwalbe CX tyres, they didn't last long, got cut by flints in both cases, then Specialized CX tyres, these have been better, but the front blew out on me this morning, bloody great hole in the tyre, I suspect more flint damage. so onto set number 3 Michelin, fingers crossed.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Are the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme the same as the plus?

I started using the Plus at the end of last year. And as of yet I've not had a puncture and covered over 5000 miles

The plus are the double skinned ones
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • I used to use Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0in tyres, they were ok but a bit sketchy on a wet road and not that light as they had a wire bead. I've recently switched to totally slick 1.35in Schwalbe Evolution Kojak Folding, they're very light and have the 'Race Guard' protection strip. I've only done just over 60 miles on them so far, they're very fast and actually feel more sure-footed in the wet than the Big Apples I used to have and I've had no punctures.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
  • gralegav
    gralegav Posts: 94
    I fitted a Supreme on the front only last week, still got a Schwalbe CX on the rear. The Supreme seems very grippy and fast, but is a bit noisy (though personally i find the noise quite reassuring!). also rode thru some unavoidable glass one day with no 'consequences'.

I'd recommend them, even though it is early days. They ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    cupofteacp wrote:
    Are the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme the same as the plus?

I started using the Plus at the end of last year. And as of yet I've not had a puncture and covered over 5000 miles

The plus are the double skinned ones
    Plus have about 1/2" of rubber under the tread. They are heavy, thick, hard to get on the rim but roll well and do not puncture.
    Supreme are not the same, they use densely woven Vectran.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/shop.sfxp?pag ... 61-502-952
    This post contains traces of nuts.