Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Now then, now then.

Now that I have finished my latest build, it leaves me with two hardtails (nice ones granted - but hardtails nonetheless......

The Marin (link in sig)

The 24Seven (pics to be posted)

A mongoose '06 ritual (upgraded) - trying to flog it

And a half finished Static Plan B/Halo/Argyle build (which prob shall finish around Xmas - all boxed up in the spare room)

I really want a full suss - and it has to be a spesh.... :wink: Was looking earlier today at s-works frames but it's too much money. And if I buy it I will need all the money I can get to pay for my divorce :wink: (because I would have to spend another grand on components to compliment it!!)

So, I was looking at buying a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Not going to buy it quite yet (want the price to drop) but I have seen them for £1200 already so let's say it will cost a grand...

Does anyone out there ride one? any 'real' reviews on the bike.....

:?

Chars

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    I have tested the FSR Comp, for someone like me who has ridden hardtails all my life it was extremely dissapointing for a full sus. I found it very slow and sluggish and didnt enjoy the sram components as they felt very clunky.

With all the money you have spent on bikes id say you are probably pretty well off. I would Definately take a look at the 2008 Trek Fuel EX 9 .

I have the 07 Fuel EX 8 and its a fantastic bike, has the same fast and responsiveness that i get from my hardtail but at the same time have the comfort of the full sus, simply an amazing bike. Plus i think the white and black of the Fuel EX 9 would look brilliant against your IFT masterpiece.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ch/de/bikes/20 ... x/fuelex9/

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • I must agree that is one nice looking bike...... :)

I'm not well off at all :lol: - but I earn a decent crust but instead of wasting all my spare money on going out and pissing it against a wall like I used to (what a waste), I enjoy cycling and simply love every sort of bike. have even been looking at getting a road bike :shock:

I was actually looking at buying a EX-8, I really don't want to spend more than £1300 on this new bike as I have spent far too much this year (albeit a nice return) on bikes.

I have never had a full suss bike - the frame is what's important so all I wanted was a decent and reputable brand, something that was comfortable for me and the ability to upgrade when needed - the EX-8 looks great to me - I was inquiring about it last night or the night before with niclouse.

It will probably be a month or so before I buy it (and I will buy an 07)........

have still yet to pay for the XTR wheelset for the marin :o (but man - that bike gets used more than any bike I have ever owned - trouble is I don't/can't abuse it becuase it's so white and I dont want to f*** it up - hence this new build)
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    I cant praise the 07 Fuel EX 8 enough, It seems we have similar taste in bikes, I have a Marin Hawkhill which im in the process of finishing off with XT/LX components and also have my Fuel EX 8 which is simply a fantastic bike, it really does feel like a hardtail when flying through single track but as soon as you hit a rocky section it quickly starts absorbing the bumps whilst maintaining maximum grip just like a full sus.

One thing i would advise with the EX 8 is replace the standard tyres for some Fire XC pros or Cinders ( The only upgrade i am going to make to my Trek at the end of the month ).The stock ones work great in Summer but as soon as they get near abit of mud the grip vanishes very quickly.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/