I need (would like) a winter bike, which cyclo-cross?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Like I say, i need, reallly need, must have, a winter bike. (Just in case wifey reads this).
This need came when I 1st saw a Spec Tri-cross, but as the months have gone on, & I've seen a few more Tri-cross's I've slightly fallen out of favour with them, but not the idea of a cyclo-cross bike.
The problem being I'm having trouble locating similar bikes, admittedly I have only occasionally searched the web.

So can, you guys point me in the right direction for a good all rounder, preferably around the £500 mark.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I'm sure Bob Jackson or Woodrup or many other framebuilders could do a frame for 500 pounds or less. If you are looking at a complete bike, I'm not sure what is a around at that price point. I thought that the Specialized was one of the cheaper models. Bear in mind that some cross bikes are a lot like road bikes, with steep angles, but with higher bottom brackets for those off camber sections. Some are more like do it all touring bikes (eg Surly CrossCheck). You might also consider an audax or touring bike, since they also have mudguards and are pretty light.

If you want hardcore, you could buy a Fort or Ridley or something. But then you'd have to race it!
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Dunno what it costs but this is a beautiful frame:

http://www.salsacycles.com/chiliconcrosso.html
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Thanks so far.
    I would be after a complete bike, luckily the £500 was, again, for the Wife's benefit although I wouldn't like to go into 3 figures, if that's posible, that's for the bank managers benefit :lol:
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771