Last minute advice

mdk27
mdk27 Posts: 6
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
In just under two weeks time I'll be setting off on a 5 day charity ride from Ben Nevis to Snowdon, via Scafell Pike (climbing each of them along the way). Until about 3 months ago I hadn't cycling more than 20 miles in one go and have been training like the proverbial - completing my first 100 about a week ago.

Anyway, now that it's less than two weeks to go, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how I should train over these last few days? Also, any general advice on getting through the whole thing would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

P.S. There's more info on the ride here: www.mattdkelly.com/threepeaks.html

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Don't!

There is nothing you can do in the last two weeks before an event to increase your capability. Take a break from hard training. Ride for fun. Eat for two. Go for a swim and sauna. Relax and visualise what you are going to do. Have the bike checked over. Hard tyres and a clean chain will save a lot of wasted effort over 5 days.

As for the event itself, the obvious stuff, really. Pace yourself. Keep eating and drinking. Relax and Enjoy.

This advice comes from a guy who rode up Mt Ventoux this summer with a flat tyre, short of sleep and having done some equally silly climbs in the days preceding. Do what I say, not what I do!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• mdk27
    I like the sound of riding for fun and eating for two! Thanks for the advice - I'll make sure the tires are pumped and the chain is clean!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Gradually decrease and you can try some proper carb loading if you want...

Although not sure if that works for multi day events....

But anyway- eat loooooads.
    You're not going to be putting on much weight and you could do with some reserves anyway.

Make sure your position and everything is comfy this week, tighten loose screws, do up that bolt, adjust the derailleurs, pump tyres, true wheels (if needed), clean, grease and generally service your bike so you know it's up to the task.

Nothing you can do training wise so just relax and catch up with the family/work.

Get your head sorted so that you're geared for the event when it starts.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm not convinced about carbo loading - I always seem to end up needing to fart loads :oops:

Still, it does sound like the event is going to be a good one, so relax now and just enjoy the run in to the week itself. :)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Agreed about the side-effects of carboloading: it generates one of the unholy trinity of nasty disadvantages when drafting another's back wheel: mucus, methane and micturation. What with road spray on wet days and the imminent risk of a crash, further proof that, although you can save loads of energy by wheelsucking, you never get anything for nothing.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• mdk27
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll get stuck into the eating / greasing / servicing.

At least there'll be no one cycling behind me to suffer the consequences of any carbo loading!