Favourite Climb

ajohn9
ajohn9 Posts: 260
Whats your favourite climb both here and abroad?
for me its gotta be the snake pass, for its views and because its my "home climb", and Abroad the tourmalet, due to its legendary status and being the biggest climb ive done!

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Coal Road from Garsdale Head near Hawes. My first true love. I've since done tougher, longer, steeper etc but this is the special one for me.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Well for me its Wall End in Great Langdale. As has been said, there's steeper, longer, tougher, but the view back from the top has got to be one of the best in the Lakes.

Abroad, I think it's got to be the Grossglockner in Austria (though I haven't done the Stelvio yet, and that looks pretty special).
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    The Granites in the Moorfoots near Edinburgh. Not steep but long and great views. Plus you can go very fast on the way down because it's pretty straight.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Abroad overall favourite is Galibier because of its combination of tour history, height, difficulty and views when you get to the top.

Tourmalet second for much the same reasons.

Zoncolan is third, not only because it is so hard but also because its a cyclists climb, no traffic, fan graffiti on the roads, strategically placed posters of Giro greats and the fact it is quite different from the Alps/Pyrenees in layout with few hairpins, mostly forested and an interesting finish (with great views).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    amircp wrote:
    The Granites in the Moorfoots near Edinburgh. Not steep but long and great views. Plus you can go very fast on the way down because it's pretty straight.

Ive done the B7007 a few times through the Moorfoots and I have to agree with you the view is excellent :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Home?

So many too choose from but I suppose it has to be fairly local....I'll not forget the first time I clapped my eyes on Glen Quaich from Amulree...that was the first REAL hard climb I did...and also another around Loch Tay...the Ben Lawers climb either from Loch Tay or Bridge of Balgie...stunning!...so they are my local favs

Abroad?

Again so many....but I suppose the Ventoux from Bedoin..so much history and so difficult...outstanding feeling coming out the Forest and seeing the sweeps upto the Observatory...also the Tourmalet....another terribly difficult special climb with so much history...most beautiful would have to be the Climb of La Masca in Tenerife..steep and unbeleivably gorgeous...
  • Home:
    Bealach na Ba. Superb combination of steepening climb and outstanding scenery.

Abroad:
    Port de Pailheres. Well-balanced climb, excellent views from the top, quiet road, friendly locals.

J
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    vermooten wrote:
    Coal Road from Garsdale Head near Hawes. My first true love. I've since done tougher, longer, steeper etc but this is the special one for me.

Andy
    Only done the coal road once and I loved it, the views must be some of the best in Britain. But my favourite has to be Sneck Yate / Boltby Bank, it's my training hill and I know every inch of it. Still needs that little bit of RESPECT.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace