Wheel choice for rough roads

davecooper
davecooper Posts: 290
edited August 2007 in Workshop
I have spent the last three years trying to get my bike comfortable to ride. It is a four year old Specialized Allez and it has taken me a long while to get the riding position correct, entailing a new stem, cranks and bars. The last year has been spent trying to suppress the horrendous road surfaces in my area which makes the bike very tiring to ride. I have slowly improved the ride with a carbon post, new saddle and 25mm tyres. However, I now want to turn my attention to the wheels and want something that will help the ride. Considering there is virtually no flat in my area, its mostly climbing and descending, what wheels should I be looking at? I have been considering Open Pro’s laced 28/32h on 105 hubs or similar. I currently have 24mm deep rims and I wondered whether the OP’s might be a bit more compliant. I have broken three rear spokes this summer, all drive side.

Comments

• wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    davecooper wrote:
    I have spent the last three years trying to get my bike comfortable to ride. It is a four year old Specialized Allez and it has taken me a long while to get the riding position correct, entailing a new stem, cranks and bars. The last year has been spent trying to suppress the horrendous road surfaces in my area which makes the bike very tiring to ride. I have slowly improved the ride with a carbon post, new saddle and 25mm tyres. However, I now want to turn my attention to the wheels and want something that will help the ride. Considering there is virtually no flat in my area, its mostly climbing and descending, what wheels should I be looking at? I have been considering Open Pro’s laced 28/32h on 105 hubs or similar. I currently have 24mm deep rims and I wondered whether the OP’s might be a bit more compliant. I have broken three rear spokes this summer, all drive side.

you're barking up the right tree ithink.

you should be looking for stainless steel spokes as these provide a more compliant ride and if the wheel is well made need not sacrifice much stiffness or robustness.

Campag neutrons or protons would be about the best factory choice if they fit your gearing.

depth of rim is less of a factor than spoke type IME. i have a pair of planet X 50mm wheels which have CXray and DT aero spokes and i can only describe the comfort as sublime.

the other big thing is tyres. Vredestein Fortezza tricomp are a comfortable tyre.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    you should be looking for stainless steel spokes as these provide a more compliant ride and if the wheel is well made need not sacrifice much stiffness or robustness.

As opposed to non-stainless steel spokes? :shock:
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    aracer wrote:

As opposed to non-stainless steel spokes? :shock:

no, as opposed to aluminium spokes (Ksyrium, Eurus etc. etc.) They are strong but less compliant and shock-absorbant ... similar to alu vs. steel frame!
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Given they don't (AFAIK) make their alu spokes heavier than steel ones, and that the stiffness/weight ratio of alu is much the same as steel, then I don't believe that makes any difference either.

Would your alu vs steel frame comparison be comparing a Vitus small tube bonded alu frame with a Colombus SL steel one?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want 'bomb-proof' get a pair of Pete Matthew's Roubaix wheels
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..