How does this wheel set look for heavy XC use?

Noodoo
Noodoo Posts: 214
edited September 2007 in MTB buying advice
Shimano XT Disc Front M756 Black 32h 6-Bolt
Mavic XC717 Disc 2007 32h Black
DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Black 2mm

Shimano XT Disc Rear M756 Black 32h 6-Bolt
Mavic XC717 Disc 2007 32h Black
DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Black 2mm
Hope 7sp Spacer 7sp Spacer

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    standard XC build from many shops.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Mine are holding out fine. Merlincycles build.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why PG spokes? Use double butted.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    Why PG spokes? Use double butted.

missed that, must be DB. stronger wheel and lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Noodoo
    Double Butted.
    Noted.

would they take a bit of a beating?
    do you know if the hubs are cup and cone (as you guys have recommended) or sealed type? (I hope they're C&C!)

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • nicklouse
    sealed Cand C.
  • supersonic
    As above. Sealed doesnt automatically mean cartridge. If you want to gibve them a thrashing, maye the 719 rim? Its a heavier duty XC rim.
  • Noodoo
    OK, so how's this?

Shimano XT Disc Front M756 Black 32h 6-Bolt
    Mavic XM719 Disc 2007 32h Black
    DT Swiss Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm

Shimano XT Disc Rear M756 Black 32h 6-Bolt
    Mavic XM719 Disc 2007 32h Black
    DT Swiss Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm
    Hope 7sp Spacer 7sp Spacer

Selected Package Price £137.99

That's on Chain Reaction Cycles.
    Do I get my card out now?

• supersonic
    Thats the wheel set I'd buy for your use! But from merlin cycles, better build.
  • Noodoo
    really?
    i'd read a few comments on the CRC reviews pages about people having used Merlin in the past and having a better build from CRC.
    I'll see what Merlin can do them for then.

are we talking about a consistently better build?

Anyone want to carry the flag for CRC or is it common knowledge that Merlin build better than CRC?

• supersonic
    CRC wheels are machine built, then hand tweaked, Merlin fully hand built. A forum member once got a set with a spoke missing, so i'd have to question whethr CRC do check them!
  • Noodoo
    well, to be honest, it's a couple of quid difference, so i'd be a bit silly to go for machine built, possibly unchecked wheels over ones built by an engineer called Frank who is now paid enough to warrant quitting the engineering game and building wheels for a living. He must be good.
    :)

• supersonic
    My two sets from them have been exemplory - better than I could build one, even if i took all week!
  • Noodoo
    brilliant.
    I'll give them a call after work tomorrow.

Cheers chaps.

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Had a set of XM719's on XT hubs from CRC. Re-tensioned the spokes once in the 18 months I've had them, still straight and true. You must get the wheels re-tensioned after a couple of rides, no matter who built them and what they say.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • supersonic
    Not always though, as if the wheel has been properly stress relieved they often will hold the tension. I havent had to touch mine in a year, still tight.
  • Noodoo
    Okie doke...

Ordered from Merlin.

I'll let you know how they turn out! :)

• I bought my Deore/XM719/DT wheels about 3-4 years ago and have never needed to change a spoke or even re-tension! They are still absolutely true. They have now done about 5000 miles of (rigid MTB) off-road and London pot-hole commuting and look like new.

I bought them from CRC.

The recent XT/EN321/DT wheels I bought from them recently seem equally good, so far.

I have only really heard good things about Merlin too, to be fair.
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Noodoo
    Well, they turned up today, so they turned up on the 5th working day.
    Good stuff so far.
    Order is complete, accurate and well packaged.
    Just got to get a new casette, spacer and fit them now.

Happy so far. :)