Manual/Wheelie advice!

bradders1979
bradders1979 Posts: 83
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
Try as i might, I cannot get going on these. Have tried lowering the seat right down, leaning back, power stroke etc, but cannot get the wheel up more than a few inches. Really annoying!! Anybody got some advice? I have looked at a few sites on the net already. My bike is not too heavy imo.

Brad
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
2012 Scott Foil 40
2009 Spesh Allez Elite
2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70

Comments

• How fast are you going when attempting this, and in what gear?
    It really isn't/shouldn't be hard to get the front wheel up. :?
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • I would say quite slow, about 5-6 mph? I have not been able to 'fall' off of the back yet - must lean back further still?? It feels like I am already pretty far back though.
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    ok, in mastering these, you_will_hurt_yourself. Accept this.

(i realise this guy might not actually hurt himself, but being ready to accept that you may helps a great deal...)
    i ride a hardtail
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    you don't want to try manuals just yet, just have a go at wheelies. while in a really low gear at a slow speed, pedal quickly with your prefered foot forwards and lift the handlebars. the front wheel should now be up in the air, to carry on the wheelie just pedal. trust me, it takes a lot of practice but it will pay off. once you've mastered wheelies and found your balance point try manuallling, which i can't do yet. someone carry on here please!!
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"