Open Pro wheels form Ribble

grazer
grazer Posts: 131
edited August 2007 in Workshop
has anyone bought any "handbuilt" wheels by Ribble?? (are the actually made by Madison?)

I notice on their website you can get a pair of open pro's on ultegra hubs for £135. Seems like a bargain....

Anyone tried 'em or have any exeperience?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've bought handbuilts from Ribble (not OPs mind)

They were okay, and cheap, but I ended up re-tensioning them myself.

Paul Hewitt is better and worth the extra IMO.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I bought open pros off them at the beginning of the Summer and not had any problems with them.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    I've had a couple of sets of wheels from ribble; most recent was Open Pro on Centaur hubs. good VFM to buy, but mine as mentioned above did need a slight retrue on the rear after a couple of weeks, probably because the wheel hadn't been destressed properly during building. LBS tweaked it for me, so overall cost was still competitive, even budgeting for a retrue - if I had the time I'd have ran them back to the shop, but I didn't.

they are handbuilt, you can spec any rim hub & spoke combination. The Madison wheels are sold under the brand name M;wheels, and even then are pretty good VFM, but without the choice of spokes etc.
  • sherlock65
    sherlock65 Posts: 373
    Last year bought 105 on OP from Ribble, and they were very nice thank you.
    No problems with them staying true, which is more than I can say for the pair I bought from Dave Hinde this year as they were cheaper - big mistake, they must have put them together on a Friday.

TBH wheels from Ribble seem to be the best deal going at the mo'.

Steve
    The dog did nothing in the night-time; that was the curious incident...
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    is it worth going for ceramic (CD?)..??
  • Have bought 3 sets handbuilts from Ribble over past 10 years - latest were CXP33 on Centaur. Always stayed true and no probs....also bought factory Campag Khamsims from Ribble - great price, shame tyres don't go on !
    Briceyinstockport