Feeling Down

jonesy124
jonesy124 Posts: 205
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
My boss called me into her office this morning to tell me that she doesnt think I am pulling my weight. She mentioned two examples of things that I am yet to complete:

Sorting out comapny leaflets - the guy at the design agency has gone on holiday!
Sorting the company logo for email signatures - our IT guy took ages to send me the links. After I repeatedly nagged him for them he emailed them to me and copied in my admin manager. My admin manager sent the links through to my boss at 9am today so my boss thinks that my admin manager sorted it all :evil:

The fact is that I AM pulling my weight. Two of my colleagues (there are 4 full time staff) have recently spent 2 weeks on holiday. While they were away I covered a load of their work as well as doing all of my own stuff.

I was really angry deep down but didnt want to say anything. Now I just feel like rubbish :(

Comments

• Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    edited August 2007
    not a nice feeling esp coming back form a glorious bank holiday weekend.

did you communicate to your boss everything you've just told us? it sounds obvious but unless you really put your side across it may be that they've been ignorant to your plight/s. my boss usually has no idea how long it takes to get certain things done especially if there are other people in the chain.

your boss is prob getting pressure from somewhere and i can guarantee you that they communicate all this crap back to their boss. you have to do the same and make them understand the situation. it's not a sign of weakness - it's about being realistic in what you can manage with the resources you have.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Ask to speak to her and say that now you've had a chance to think about it you'd like to put your side accross. Don't let it weigh on your mind because you kept quiet.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    This is what you do. Tell your boss exactly these words (remembering to maintain a degree of diplomacy)...
    jonesy124 wrote:
    The fact is that I AM pulling my weight. Two of my colleagues .... have recently spent 2 weeks on holiday. While they were away I covered a load of their work as well as doing all of my own stuff.

I was really angry deep down but didnt want to say anything. Now I just feel like rubbish
    :(

...it may not be the time to ask for a pay rise, but ya never know! :wink:
  • jonesy124
    I think that she has already realised that she may have been wrong. She is being really nice to me now. I only have a month left before I go back to uni and I will have to use that time to make sure she actually sees how much I do!
  • Invariably though they only see how much you do when you're not there to do it.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you need to go back to her - don't let this boil up inside of you..

Go back and ask for a moment of her time, start with "I have been thinking about our chat this morning and there are a couple of things that I'm not too happy with and I'd like to discus further with you"...

If she has realised she is wrong then this could be a reasonably productive meeting.

on the other hand, if you inly have a month to go before you go back to uni and if you aren't planning going back there again then you can have a real easy month as they already think you do nowt anyway
    :-)
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    gkerr4 wrote:
    if you aren't planning going back there again then you can have a real easy month as they already think you do nowt anyway

That's what I would do, but then again I am a lazy bastard :oops:
    I have pain!
  • Pagem
    gkerr4 wrote:

on the other hand, if you inly have a month to go before you go back to uni and if you aren't planning going back there again then you can have a real easy month as they already think you do nowt anyway

yeah, i have to agree. when i read the original thread i assumed you weren't a dossy student. unless the work means something to you or you need them for future reference, work experience, a job etc. then i wouldn't worry too much. however, given this, it might be a good place to practice your assertiveness for inevitable future workplace confrontation..?

it's prob just jealousy, since she's not the one soon to be returning to a life of booze, countdown and trying to pull the next bit of fit totty. look on the brightside... :lol:
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Jonesy, Use it as a learning curve, be assertive and explain your point of view, even if you never work there again use it as practice.

As ever be diplomatic and smile when your seething, never know when your paths may cross again in the future.

From experience its the gobshites that get all the credit, and the hard workers who dont get noticed.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Your boss is clearly a useless clot who doesn't appreciate you, and needs to be sent on a management course immediately. This will get her out of the way and open the door for you to run the place in her absence :)

Get back to the warm bosom of Uni as soon as you can, a place where reality dare not intrude. Ahh, wish I could go back to University, but twice was enough for me. Besides, I'd be older than most of the lecturers now I bet :oops:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • jonesy124
    i met my mate for lunch and we had a drink in a nearby pub garden.

I feel much better about the whole situation. Funny how a pint of lager and some sunshine can have that affect!
  • McBain_v1
    Lager?! The student's choice I take it.
    Nasty stuff, makes me a bit lecherous :twisted:

• jonesy124
    LAGER - for drinking in the afternoon all year round
    CIDER - for drinking in the afternoon in summer time
    ROSE - for drinking at regattas or summer partys/bbqs
    WHITE WINE - for drinking when out at dinner or just before going out
    RED WINE - for drinking when feeling mature or at christmas time
    VODKA - for any occasion after noon.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Whereas port is for graduates only.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    jonesy124 wrote:
    Buckfast - a cheeky wee fighting wine for just before armed / unarmed combat!!! :D Or just before interviews with a 'superior'. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Pagem
    jonesy124 wrote:

where are turbo-shandies?

excellent for catch-up and a uni favourite. things get a bit messy though.
  • Widdle
    Widdle Posts: 21
    Suggest you don't have a conversation with your boss if you smell of drink. Also they may be monitoring your internet useage so be careful!
  • jonesy124
    ricadus wrote:

I had port on friday night.

A friend of mine who is a real girly girl showed how random she is - im used to her cracking open a can of fosters and gracefully sipping it when dressed up in her glitsy dancing gear. But on friday night we were all drunk, it was about 3am and she said "i have a nice bottle of port in my room", after we had sepnt all night drinking wine for £2.50 a bottle.

Port = hangover
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    jonesy124 wrote:

A friend of mine who is a real girly girl showed how random she is - im used to her cracking open a can of fosters and gracefully sipping it when dressed up in her glitsy dancing gear. But on friday night we were all drunk, it was about 3am and she said "i have a nice bottle of port in my room", after we had sepnt all night drinking wine for £2.50 a bottle.

Port = hangover
    Section in bold equals hangover. The port was just the finishing touch. :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Distinctly worrying that a discussion about work-relationships should degenerate into a discourse on boozing - mind you, the comments on Buckfast are just priceless. Your boss has probably been festering some stresses about their own performance and the weekend's pent-up frustrations have been taken out on you. Perhaps it's a chance to learn something - has your communication been clear enough to make sure people acknowledge your contribution? As you're off soon, you've probably little to lose and a lot to gain - particularly thinking about your next job. 'Managing your boss' is one of the things they don't teach you at Uni and there's no time like the present to start learning.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • McBain_v1
    Agree that we seem to have been sidetracked somewhat onto the subject of boozing and what is appropriate and when:

Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit - any time, it's just so nice
    Wells Banana Bread Beer - it's got banana's in it, so it must be healthy
    Batard Montrachet White - £160 per bottle, drink only when feeling flush with cash
    Glayva - nice winter warmer

Back to the original topic though, it does appear that Jonesey124 has got past her bosses poor behaviour, and is happily contemplating her return to the hedonistic lifestyle of the debt-ridden student :)

• jonesy124
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Back to the original topic though, it does appear that Jonesey124 has got past her bosses poor behaviour, and is happily contemplating her return to the hedonistic lifestyle of the debt-ridden student :)

I cant wait, I cant wait, I cant wait

My new flat is a 7 minute walk from town and I can see the sea from my window :D:D:D

I am BURSTING with excitement.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    jonesy124 wrote:
    ricadus wrote:

Port = hangover

thats not random, thats forward planning
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Random Vince
    jonesy124 wrote:

I cant wait, I cant wait, I cant wait

My new flat is a 7 minute walk from town and I can see the sea from my window :D:D:D

I am BURSTING with excitement.

not fair,

i'm moving to brighton then, i wanna see the sea

that will be all

• you can see the sea,it's over there between the land and the sky.
  • Random Vince
    yeh, i'm in coventry, i'm lucky if i can see a tree from my window.

that will be all

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    What abouy bitter - says the drunken MSc student

i mean th FINISHED drunken MSc student......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Cold beer for lunch onwards

Ciders for when you're only having 1 or 2 or hot days

Double Vodka and Red Bull for when you have no commitments for the next few days...
    (£1.50 in my student bar!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • McBain_v1
    I had no idea there were so many students on this forum :shock:
    Still, at least jonesey124 has got a decent flat to frolick in, one can only imagine what she'll be getting up to come September...

• jonesy124 wrote:
    i met my mate for lunch and we had a drink in a nearby pub garden.

I feel much better about the whole situation. Funny how a pint of lager and some sunshine can have that affect!

Surely Cider for a student??[/b]