07 Stumpy. Help me decide what size I need.

WTF
WTF Posts: 52
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am about to purchase a Stumpy FSR and I am 5ft 11" tall.
Now according to size chart I am a large but my LBS tell me a medium may be the best option ? I am confused now and don`t want to screw up and have to live with a wrong size frame and a test ride would not be of much use as it takes me a while to get used to riding a different ride.
I currently ride a 19" hardtail and find it OK on XC but a little smaller may be better in more technical stuff possibly.
Opinions please as to size of your frame and what would be best for myself.
Oh btw I have a 34" inside leg measurement.

TIA

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Im 6'0 and found the Large to be way to big when i test rode it, The Medium was alot better because you will want to be able to throw the bike about abit, although i still found it very heavy and sluggish feeling.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Don't know this bike but you'd generally be looking at a 19 inch MTB. If in doubt go as small as possible - as far as comfort allows I mean.

Test ride both I'd say.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DR650s
    DR650s Posts: 24
    I'm 5'11'' and have tried both the large and medium Stumpy. I found the large basically too large, and the medium just right. I ride a XL Claude Butler Hardtail at present so go figure, I suppose the answer is not all manufacturers size bikes the same.

I found the large stumpy a bit too long and felt I was reaching for the bars, I checked the medium and found I still had quite a lot of seat post adjustment left even when I put the seat at my normal riding height so I will be getting a medium stumpy shortly.

Hope that helps.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you actually tried the bike in question, and the various sizes?
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I ride 17.5" Stumpy and I'm 5'10" tall. Its just about right for me with an inline post and the saddle in the middle of the rails. You would probably get away with a medium as well, so long as you don't have gorilla arms! Try both though.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • WTF
    Thanks for the answers.
    Tried bikes but only briefly so couldn`t make any right decision.It just seems that I fall into either frame size and needed to get opinions as to what works best.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I looked at a stumpy FSR in my local Evans store and tried both the M and L frame. Being 6'1" my thinking was the large would be the right size but it felt too long and high up, it certainly would've been the wrong size for me. The M frame felt so much better, it was'nt too long and felt more throwable and nimble not too mention marginally lighter.

Its much easier and safer to make a slightly smaller frame fit with seatpost and stem adjustments than to try and get a good riding position and feel out a frame that is slightly too big.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    I'm 5'11 and have just bought a medium stumpy FSR elite, perfect fit. 8)
  • WTF
    Sound advice there and thanks all for helping me make my mind up.
    Medium it is then.