Racing on open public roads

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited August 2007 in Pro race
From Singletrack http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/r ... &t=3208855

"Picture the scene-

me and my buddy, 50 miles into the ride on fixed wheel machines, 30miles till home. Up near aberfoyle.

Overtaken by car with "bicycle race in progress" signs all over it. Looking behind, there's a pack of roadies 400m behind and closing. We were pretty tired by this time and eased up a bit, but it took them 7 or 8 minutes to catch us.

A few leaders steam past, we kept well out of the way. However when the bunch caught us they were overtaking at a snails pace and so we joined them.

We're both experienced road racers ourselves, well used to bunch ettiquette, and were not getting in anyones way or letting gaps open up.

Roadie behind me (on carbon dream machine, 20 gears): "scuse me, are you in the race"

mudculture (on £400 fixie): no

Roadie: f*** off then

they were pretty mean looking so we didn't press the point. I thought we were doing a good job of keeping out the way, and we were all evenly mached for pace.

Should we have stayed in the bunch?"

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    No. No more than you should jump into the middle of a marathon while out for a jog or join in with a car race just because you are out for a spin in your car. As someone on STW pointed out , they wouldn't like it is someone jumped into an MTB race.

TBH, it's just a posting to stir the Fat-arse vs. Goat-Blowers debate.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    who ever it was that said you should have just said - ok then and pulled blissfully off the front is absoloutly correct - especially on a...whisper it...Fixie!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The same thread is on Veloriders - apparently the race in question was an Over-50s vets event.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Are you mad - I'm surprised someone didn't punch you!
  • LangerDan wrote:
    The same thread is on Veloriders - apparently the race in question was an Over-50s vets event.

and I thought it was the youth of this country that are the rude and uncouth lot! :P
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Picture the scene..... Cycling home from work one evening on the same route I'd used for several years, I was flagged down by a marshal of what turned out to be a local time trial. He told me quite abruptly that I was going to be in the way and to use another route. I told him to mind his own business and carried on along the road I was using.
    I wouldn't dream of 'joining in' a race, but I'm blowed if I'm going to take a detour and increase my commute distance for a buch of people "playing out on their bikes" !
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Picture the scene: grumpy Englishman out for a drive with his wife and kids on a Sunday. Gets flagged down by a marshall who tells him there's a bicycle race in progress and would he mind using another route.
    'Mind your own business' he grumbles and floors it, round the bend in third gear to show who's boss and that he need not observe some simple decency, even for a bunch of lycra clad fairys out playing on their silly pushbikes.

Does he or does he not mow the entire peleton down when he rounds the blind corner...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Picture the scene: grumpy Englishman out for a drive with his wife and kids on a Sunday. Gets flagged down by a marshall who tells him there's a bicycle race in progress and would he mind using another route.
    'Mind your own business' he grumbles and floors it, round the bend in third gear to show who's boss and that he need not observe some simple decency, even for a bunch of lycra clad fairys out playing on their silly pushbikes.

Does he or does he not mow the entire peleton down when he rounds the blind corner...

Is this anyone you know?? I think we should be told!!!
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Nah, it's the mindset. Just trying to make a point.

Mind you, a similar sort of thing did happen about 20 years ago up on Montacute Road here in the Adelaide Hills. Wiped out a training group of 8 from the AIS...

how's your riding going Toppers?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • top_bhoy
    edited August 2007
    you working late tonight Rusty? Riding was going well, easing myself back into it and upping the distance to about 200Km a week, until about 2 weeks ago and then I got a heavy cold/flu. After just getting over the flu I caught in Glasgow recently as well - its a real bummer. I had just started commuting to work as well :cry:

We'll need to catch up soon - I have the Alan Peiper book for you!!! I was trying not to read it but work just got way too boring, I had to give in to my urges and started it. :lol:
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    if you havent entered the race, then why should you be part of it!?

what if you brought down a rider or something!? what a pair of t!ts. dont race in races that your not part of. simple!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • steve23 wrote:
    if you havent entered the race, then why should you be part of it!?

what if you brought down a rider or something!? what a pair of t!ts. dont race in races that your not part of. simple!

Dont race on open public roads that are, well open to the public.
  • top_bhoy
    mmm...if there is no actual good cycling etiqutte in this situation then I think courtesy would dictate that if a race passes by you, whilst there is no need to drop the pace, slowing a little to allow the main bunch to pass in a timely manner would be a sensible approach for all involved - what isn't on is to up the pace to hold a wheel and stay with the bunch or draft an individual racer.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Regardless of the 'experience' of the riders, and I have to question their competence for even asking the question - only manners would make you move to the inside and even put your arm in the air to make sure nobody confuses you with a racer. Even as an experienced rider you have no-right to interfere in somebody else's race. Riding in a bunch requires concentration and if someone's following your wheel in the belief you're in the pack only to watch a big gap open in front, they'd have every right to be annoyed. Just get out the f-ing way stupid!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    I'm with Monty on this one; assuming they're doing a circuit and you're on your way home, you'll peel off somewhere. YOU may know where, but THEY don't know that. You might get boxed in and bring half the field down trying to get out. You might touch wheels. Isn't it obvious? Just GEDDOUDOVIT!!

Phil B
    Clifton CC York
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    mmm...if there is no actual good cycling etiqutte in this situation then I think courtesy would dictate that if a race passes by you, whilst there is no need to drop the pace, slowing a little to allow the main bunch to pass in a timely manner would be a sensible approach for all involved - what isn't on is to up the pace to hold a wheel and stay with the bunch or draft an individual racer.

Hi there.

Bo**ocks - there is a very good clear cycling etiquette in this situation - and the original, original posters knew it - after all they claimed to be 'experienced road racers'. All they were doing was proving the point that they could keep up with the bunch on their singlespeed mtb's. Sounds quite impressive doesn't it?

Once you factor in the point that the race was a veteran and ladies race, then it doesn't sound quite so impressive does it?

The race in question was just along the road from me, and I know quite a few of the guys involved. All the singlespeed guys did was make an ar$e of themselves while disrupting someone else's race. Presumably they were just riding home after doing their off road thing - I'm sure the road ride wasn't the main aim of their day.

So far i've seen this thread on here, Braveheart, SIngletrack and apparently it's on veloriders too. So someone told them to f**k off? What a shame, personally I think they got off lightly...

Cheers, Andy
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    So far i've seen this thread on here, Braveheart, SIngletrack and apparently it's on veloriders too. So someone told them to f**k off? What a shame, personally I think they got off lightly...

So what you have done then ? done them in or something or beat them up ? With your got off lightly comment i think you need to get a sense of perspective here about cyclists riding on a public road.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moray Gub wrote:

So what you have done then ? done them in or something or beat them up ? With your got off lightly comment i think you need to get a sense of perspective here about cyclists riding on a public road.

cheers
    MG

HI MG.

I'm not sure if you've done much racing or not. If you have you'll know that it can get pretty hairy in a bunch, even with experienced racers. Having a couple of uninsured riders on inappropriate bikes for bunched racing is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not a violent person, but I have seen punches thrown by others in road races for much less...

Cheers, Andy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm sure Dave-1 will put things into a true perspective,what with him being an experienced racer and all that.
    NOT.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    whitley wrote:
    I'm sure Dave-1 will put things into a true perspective,what with him being an experienced racer and all that.
    NOT.

He is an experienced racer.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He is?
    Ask him to prove it.
  • ddraver
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eBdJf5OkU ... ed&search=
    how would he have felt if he 'd had to put up with this road?!
    - @ddraver
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    edited August 2007
    Sid Barras and Keith Lambert, two of Britain's top pro's at the time, joined in with the then all amateur Milk Race in the late 70's, whilst out on a training ride. A very dim view was taken of this and, if I remember correctly, they got a large fine and a ban.

Experienced racers should know better than to join in with someone else's race.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    ddraver wrote:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eBdJf5OkUc0&mode=related&search=
    how would he have felt if he 'd had to put up with this road?!

the documentary is very good eh...it´s a trip down memory lane seeing all the North Wirral Velo Kodak guys. Lilliestone, Obrien and that other Kodak guy, Jennings? I can´t remember. Seeing the mountain TT on the Isle of Man, seeing Boardman climbing after the gooseneck, really shifting for that climb But the rivalry with between Boardman and Obree was immense but mostly polite and a very exciting phase of British TT and track racing
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Moray Gub wrote:

cheers
    MG

HI MG.

I'm not sure if you've done much racing or not. If you have you'll know that it can get pretty hairy in a bunch, even with experienced racers. Having a couple of uninsured riders on inappropriate bikes for bunched racing is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not a violent person, but I have seen punches thrown by others in road races for much less...

Cheers, Andy

Hmmmm....

I'm sure the Highway Code deals with cyclists riding more than two abreast. 51/3 I believe....
    Or does an organised race make you exempt?
  • ddraver
    No No that only apllies to car drives who annoy us.......

sorry had a bad experiences with RLJ ers today
    - @ddraver
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:

cheers
    MG

HI MG.

Well first off i wouldnt have done what they did , I havent done any races and if that is the kind of attitude in them then im not sure i really want too to be honest.But i have ridden in big groups in sportives and audaxes and cant really see why another two riders in the group is a disaster waiting to happen and you say innaproriate bikes they were able to hold the pace so how were the bikes innapropriate other than they werent the latest all carbon dura ace ? Strikes me the roadies were just a wee bit sensitive...........at the end of the day the two guys whether you like it or not were more than entitled to do what they did , i dont think violence is the answer just because a few roadies get all het up about who should be on the road and who shouldnt.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The guys on fixies were clowns. They'd not appreciate anyone joining in their races - after all - they are experienced racers themselves supposedly ?

Although I'm not sure they are if they're shocked at hearing the F word in a bunch race ? Bless their delicate lil' ears.
  • top_bhoy
    dear dear - I suggest your first word is very aggresive and it looks like you were in some way suggesting that I thought there was no etiquette involved in this scenario. The bottom line is- not being a racer, is that I didn't know and which I did say words to this effect if you read it again. Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your response and omit my post and your first word. You can't defend what these guys did. If you do read my words again, you'll see I think they did the wrong thing here and politeness costs nothing. Which in my opinion, is what etiquette is all about - courtesy!!!.

Anger counselling for you young man!!! :lol:

However, I will pose another question you may be able to answer (in a non-aggresive way :D ). What would you do ifyour innocently riding along and a race bunch engulfs you - you can hardly swing out the way. Me, I'd try giving a shout to those in the race to get round me on the outside whilst I slowed up a little. I doubt I would be taking my hands of the bars and raising my hands to signal. Right or wrong :wink:

This is like the 'you are the ref' articles from 'the shoot' magazine (I think) many years ago!!! :lol:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

Hi there.

Bo**ocks - there is a very good clear cycling etiquette in this situation - and the original, original posters knew it - after all they claimed to be 'experienced road racers'. All they were doing was proving the point that they could keep up with the bunch on their singlespeed mtb's. Sounds quite impressive doesn't it?

Once you factor in the point that the race was a veteran and ladies race, then it doesn't sound quite so impressive does it?

The race in question was just along the road from me, and I know quite a few of the guys involved. All the singlespeed guys did was make an ar$e of themselves while disrupting someone else's race. Presumably they were just riding home after doing their off road thing - I'm sure the road ride wasn't the main aim of their day.

Cheers, Andy
  • lucretius
    lucretius Posts: 143
    just as a different issue what if it had of been a couple of young boys out for a ride with no idea of racing etiquette? would they have been told to F off if they thought ohh let's try and keep up with this group?

I also feel this is no different from a car driver shouting out of the window telling a cyclist they shouldn't be on the road.

All that said as an adult I'd take the sensible option and pull over and watch them go by just as I would riding up a steep hill with no safe way for a queue of cars behind to overtake.