Lycra and work

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
Just thinking about the winter commute and what clothing to get.

Theres been a few questions on various threads.

So guys (and gals)

If you wear lycra, did you brave any catcalls. and walk in like Ned Flanders in a ski suit? or do you, say, wear baggies over the top?

Comments

• I brave the catcalls, though when I get to the office in the morning, the only other people there are other cyclists in lycra :lol:
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    baggies for me.....but then i'm an MTB er so most of my shorts are anyway
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Surely, admiring glances rather than cat-calls?

I wear the Lycra since I ain't doing a 30 mile commute in baggies.
  • ddraver
    depends how many socks you stuff down there......
    - @ddraver
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I wear lycra virtually all the time. When I did wear baggies they were too restrictive.

I think it depends on what body type you are that determines what kind of stares you're going to get.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I wear lycra. I had to wear a suit at work recently, and some of the women I work with remarked that seeing me in the suit was more shocking than seeing me in lycra!

I once even had to attend a morning briefing which I'd forgotten about while still wearing lycra. That got a few comments :o
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I mostly work in my lycra, so my collegues are quite shocked if I ever come in in jeans and t-shirt.

Oh, and it's quite funny spotting the crotch watchers, and then watching them notice you've noticed. LOL!
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    i dont think anyone needs to be anywhere that quickly to warrant lycra...
    i ride a hardtail
  • ddraver
    overmars wrote:
    I wear lycra virtually all the time. When I did wear baggies they were too restrictive.

....eh?!
    - @ddraver
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    Lyrca top and shorts, with a pair of 3/4 tracksuit bottoms to keep my knees warm.

The biggest surprise was 'how quick I go' as I can get out of the city centre quicker than the car drivers... no-one says much about the lyrca.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte wrote:
    If you wear lycra, did you brave any catcalls. and walk in like Ned Flanders in a ski suit?

Guess looking at the next thread we know what BentMikey does
    "our teacher, Mike van Erp, a champion speed-skater, who wore an arresting, body-hugging, blue and black Lycra outfit"

Seriously tho' nice mention Mikey, congrats

You weren't using ddravers 'Spinal Tap' enhancements were you?
  • Gambatte
    I know its the same info posted in 2 separate threads, but I reckon its worth passing on.

Just took some advice from a PM.

Popped down to Decathlon.

There in the 'end of line section' Full length bib tights, with their 'sport' pad.

£10.45!!

Tried them on and got me 2 pairs.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I wear lycra and get a BIG smile from the receptionist every day, she certainly seams to enjoy it :wink:
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Gambatte
    Yeah,
    A receptionist with a sense of humour's worth her weight in gold! :lol::lol::lol:
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Wearing lycra is out of my 'comfort zone' at the moment.
    I asked this question before!...
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Nobody's said anything to me about wearing lycra. Wish they would though so I can use the following answer:

"Do you think I'd be dressed like this if I gave a toss what you thought?"
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Lycra. Get comfortable.
  • 32km commute. Lycra.

Nice to see that yet again this thread is getting responses from people who've never worn Lycra.

Yes, Virginia, baggies can be *more* restrictive than Lycra. Lycra is stretchy. It moves with you. Non-stretch fabrics shaped into baggies don't, and there's lots more fabric to fold, end up in the wrong place and chafe.
    John Stevenson
  • jel
    jel Posts: 758
    As a former 23 mile, midnight, year-round commuter I used a layering system which, in deepest darkest, consisted of three-quarter length bib shorts, tights, wicking layer, jersey and windproof top. I would also wear a pair of baggies but for the pockets more than anything.

I could then adjust what I was wearing according to the temp. Baggies are okay as long as they are a very thin material.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    baggy stuff also catched the wind more..which can be a real pain into a head wind.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    only 7 miles each way here, I wear lycra... Something I thought I would never do but it :( really is better suited to the job. As for cat calls at work I get referred to as the power ranger from time to time. I've came to refer to clothes changeing time as "morphing time", when I was still on my hybrid I used to get the name tantric dave, due to the stretch's I needed to do to stop myself acheing, but the road bike seems to have done away with the need to stretch after every trip.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I have a 15 mile round trip commute and its shaved legs and lycra for me...The laydees love the shaved legs and lycra (a couple of guys as well but we won't dwell on that). I've even had one young lady shout "Hey sexy!" and flash her boobs - that alone is worth the abuse, the near misses, the psychotic mini cab drivers, the cold, the wet etc etc
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    DavidTQ wrote:
    only 7 miles each way here, I wear lycra... Something I thought I would never do but it :( really is better suited to the job. As for cat calls at work I get referred to as the power ranger from time to time. I've came to refer to clothes changeing time as "morphing time", when I was still on my hybrid I used to get the name tantric dave, due to the stretch's I needed to do to stop myself acheing, but the road bike seems to have done away with the need to stretch after every trip.

LOL, quality. That's the kind of joking around that I really miss about working in a more 'relaxed' atmosphere. :cry:
  • Lycra, without question. Baggie clothing just flaps around and gets in the way, rusks up in places you don't want it to.

Catcalls? at my age it's just good for the ego.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    DavidTQ wrote:

I think I'd prefer power ranger to "the gimp" :o

I did bump into one of my female coworkers the other week as I was leaving, and she said "Niiiiice legs", and then went "grrrrrr" :P :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    lycra... not worried about people checking me out though... it does display a fine array of my tattoos though which freaks most people out more

I turned to lycra when I started a longer commute on the roads... it's great in comparison to baggy shorts
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Deffo lycra here - a 10 mile e/w commute that regularly turns into a 20-30 miler back home and to be comfortable nothing else makes any sense.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    I did bump into one of my female coworkers the other week as I was leaving, and she said "Niiiiice legs", and then went "grrrrrr" :P :shock:

I am still jealous of a friend of mine who got into the lift with a female co-worker after going shopping for new footwear the day before and got 'Nice shoes' from her.

What greater praise can a woman give you? :)
    John Stevenson
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I'm fine about wearing lycra at work. It's more about what bike I wear it on.

I can't bring myself to wear it on my commuter, or my MTB. On my road bike only. :oops:
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yesterday, whilst teaching at the Albert Memorial, I got a "The day's all the better for seeing your legs" from a horse instructor lady. I was very pleased, but glad she was just too far to see how spikey my legs were.