Ridgeback hybrid - good first bike for my fiancee?

dcfcfan
dcfcfan Posts: 33
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Went to a cycle shop to get a (hybrid) bike for my fiancee. They told her Ridgeback were better than treks if you're spending 350 or below (which we are) as you get better components for the money. Views???

Comments

• fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    My LBS sold me a ridgeback hybrid when I went in to get a commuter.

Three months later I have traded it in for a road bike and selection of lycra having discovered the joys of long weekend rides.

Moral of the story is be damn sure she wants a hybrid and not a MTB or road bike before you put your money on the counter.

Having said all that the ridgeback was faultless - the only thing that annoyed me was the adjustable stem which creaked annoyingly if you got up on the pedals and worked very hard
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Yep i'd second the "be damned sure" comment.

I bought a hybrid for commuting on with the intention of a bit of road biking with my boyfriend (he has a road bike) Soon became apparent that the hybrid wasn't what i wanted for the leisure riding and have since bought a road bike.

On the other hand the hybrid IS perfect for my commute. Upright position is better when using a backpack, gets left outside all the time (i live above a shop so our entrance to the flat is in a locked compound so locking it up outside in there sin't a problem) which i wouldn't do with a good road bike and has already payed for itself within 4 months in saved bus fares so am happy for it to be a cheap hack bike.
  • JJDLD
    JJDLD Posts: 75
    good first bike for my fiancee

All together now - "seems like a fair swap to me".

Sorry...

:)

JJ.
  • dcfcfan
    Thanks

We'r going to Scotland and will be going on some trails so I think I need a hybrid rather than a road bike for that
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you probably do...

also - the comment about ridgebacks being good for the money is that the parent company are the UK shimano importer / distributor (or something like that) so they are always well specced with shimano components.

they look good to be honest. If I copuld get my missus into cycling, a ridgeback hybrid would be near the top of the list to look at,.
  • dcfcfan
    which of the two at the bottom of the attached would people recommend?

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=1115

Bear in mind the bike will be used on cycle trails in scotland and elsewhere, and some road riding in places like the black forest

Thanks
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    I had the mens velocity - it had no problems handling dirt tracks and camping fields when I was out in Le Mans for the racing.
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    I started out with the womens velocity, and at the time it suited my needs very well. I even rode John o'Groats to Lands End on it :)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the meteor looks like a 26" (MTB) wheeled version while the other is the 700c wheeled version.

if it is mainly off-road towpaths etc, I would probably edge towards the meteor - but if it was solely for the road or 90% road, then it go for the 700c one.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    edited August 2007
    I've had a Ridgeback rigid mountain bike for 14 years & still going strong. I couldn't recommend them enough, although now looking for a road bike as getting to old to keep injuiring myself off road on it. (Off work with back trouble)
    Justice for the 96
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I bought my wife a Ridgeback Velocity as her commuter bike. It looked to have the best components for it's price-point.

She's used it for almost a year now and is very pleased with it - I reckon it is a really good bike for the money.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • dcfcfan
    Thanks - we got the ridgeback velocity in the end