Across the pond, things seem different

andrewc3142
andrewc3142 Posts: 906
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
I'm going to Alabama on Monday, initially for 2 weeks, but probably back and forth for a few months. Staying in Gadsden, about 20 miles from the plant. Perfect commute distance, thinks I. Plus doing some exploring would be more fun on 2 wheels.

So, thought I'd try and hire a bike, or perhaps do some kind of buy/sale back deal on a used one. No chance. Polite incomprehension from the nice lady from the hotel. Slight confusion from the guy in what seems to be the town's only bike shop.

I did get offered directions to a couple of gyms - road directions even though the distance is less than 2 miles.

Oh well, at least I tried, and I'll have another go when I'm there. In the meantime, I've got use of the company's "small runaround car", in fact, a pick-up the size of a lorry.

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The Merrycans don't use the word "lorry"; they say truck.
    Why not just buy a bike, possibly on ebay, it'll be a lot cheaper there than here.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    Buy your dream bike out there you will save loads and bring it home with you.

Whilst working in Texas i once past a very attractive woman on a Cannondale Silkroad wearing some sort of team colours on a desert road miles from anywhere. From her position, speed, cadence and ease she looked at least semi pro but the thing that really stood out was the semi automatic pistol hanging of her waist, i am sure it was more effective than a "Give Cyclists Room" sticker.

I had the urge to stop and arrange a date but i chickened out, she was stunning though.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • If it looks fairly certain to last to Xmas then I will buy one. Something secondhand since I already got my dream bike (Condor Acciaio) only a couple of months back.

I've been around various places but I expect where I'll be working in Alabama (pop. 700) a veggie Brit who commutes 40 miles round trip each day will get noticed :shock:
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I don't think a lycra-clad man would exactly be flavour of the month down in Alabama. :lol: They tend to be somewhat conservative in their views and attitudes down there.
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    Alabama is one of the top destinations for winter training for US cyclists so a cant see there will be much of a problem
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • Nigeyy
    Nigeyy Posts: 140
    If you do read this, check out www.craigslist.com for the area you are in, it will probably have some bargains bikes -you might even be able to get a bike for $50 or less. You won't pay for shipping and you can use that pickup truck to get it.
    I'm going to Alabama on Monday, initially for 2 weeks, but probably back and forth for a few months. Staying in Gadsden, about 20 miles from the plant. Perfect commute distance, thinks I. Plus doing some exploring would be more fun on 2 wheels.

So, thought I'd try and hire a bike, or perhaps do some kind of buy/sale back deal on a used one. No chance. Polite incomprehension from the nice lady from the hotel. Slight confusion from the guy in what seems to be the town's only bike shop.

I did get offered directions to a couple of gyms - road directions even though the distance is less than 2 miles.

Oh well, at least I tried, and I'll have another go when I'm there. In the meantime, I've got use of the company's "small runaround car", in fact, a pick-up the size of a lorry.
    Fight Cystic Fibrosis: do something. http://www.cycleforhaylee.org http://www.cff.org
  • RossC
    RossC Posts: 38
    if you looked at http://www.bentrideronline.com/ click on Buyer's Guide in top row, flick through their list of manufacturers (most with active websites). There appear to be many small independent recumbent makers in the US (as opposed to the 3 in UK that make trikes only). if you fancy a 'bent, you could do worse than be over there where you may be in a position to get one, but you may fall in love iwth it and have to ship it back with you (taxes?)