custom audax bike

john74
john74 Posts: 254
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
hi everyone, im trying to build a custom audax bike based on a mountain bike because i feel they are more comfortable for me personally. for the frame i have chosen a merlin malt 2 hardtail thats as far as ive got :oops: im just after some input from more experienced riders as to what components i should look at buying, one other thing it has only got disc brake mounts on the frame.
any input would be gratefull.
2010 Forme Reve
2010 Giant Talon 1

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    john74 wrote:
    hi everyone, im trying to build a custom audax bike based on a mountain bike because i feel they are more comfortable for me personally. for the frame i have chosen a merlin malt 2 hardtail thats as far as ive got :oops: im just after some input from more experienced riders as to what components i should look at buying, one other thing it has only got disc brake mounts on the frame.
    any input would be gratefull.

I'm sure that Cycling Plus had an article in a very recent issue that looked at converting a mountain bike into a tourer.

There's no fixed specs for Audax bikes. Components fall into 'bands' e.g. tyres 23 - 28 mm wide. Gears 30" upwards etc.

I've used a mountain bike for 40 miles rides and hybrids for 50+ mile rides before settling on a road bike and a tourer for 100 - 200km Audax rides as they definitely offer, to me at least, a more comfortable and relaxed ride. Of the 24 Audaxes that I've participated in this year, I have only seen a handful of mountain bike/hybrid bikes a few recumbents plus a Brompton!

The mountain bike based machines simply had their tyres switched from knobblies to something more appropriate for road riding. There didn't appear to be any changes in gearing.
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    ive got some marathon plus tyres 1.95 s and a brooks b17 that need to go on.
    will a deore groupset be reliable enough on long distance in you opinion?
    im only going to be doing 100k rides to start with to see if i like it.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    That'll be more than reliable. Deore is fine, solid kit.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    john74 wrote:
    ive got some marathon plus tyres 1.95 s and a brooks b17 that need to go on.
    will a deore groupset be reliable enough on long distance in you opinion?
    im only going to be doing 100k rides to start with to see if i like it.

Deore is better than what I have fitted to my Dawes Galaxy at the rear where an Alivio mech has performed fultlessly for the past 6,000 miles.

Deore is more than enough. I use a Deore chainset and front mech, Alivio rear mech and SRAM 11-34 cassette.

B17 saddles are fine. All of my bikes are fitted with them.