First cyclosportive?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
I'm thinking that aiming for a cyclosportive might be a good idea to keep me motivated over the winter. I did 100 miles with my Dad this year, and his training especially has tailed off since then as he has nothing to aim for now. I'm thinking if we had an event to aim for we'd both keep motivated, and maybe make more effort to meet up and ride together occasionally.

So any suggestions on what might be a suitable first cyclosportive next year? We're based in the Midlands, but would be prepared to travel for the 'right' event.

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Graeme,

Check out: http://www.cyclosport.org/

Will give you lots of info on sportives. The schedule for next year is not yeat available but this year's will no doubt give you a good idea.

Why not start the sportive season off with:
    Heart of England Sportive (May) - 94 miles
    Start/Finish: Meriden, West Midlands
    Cost: £5.00/£7.50
    Rich
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks for the tip Rich. The website looks like a great resource, and the Heart of England Sportive looks like a prime target for a first sportive!
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    If you really want some winter motivation have a look at the Tour of Flanders sportiv in April.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    The Cheshire Cat might be a good one to start with. It's in March, is pretty flat but with a bit of hilliness at around the 70 mile mark. Very well organised, nice people at the feed stations, lovely countryside and not far from the W Midlands at all.

http://www.kilotogo.com/cheshirecat.htm (IE only)

If you enjoy it then you have a whole year (almost) of sportives to enter.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    In the meanwhile you might want to consider the Cat and Fiddle challenge in early October - its considerably shorter at about 55 miles but has a great atmosphere with over a thousand entrants. It's still surprisingly tough with a couple of long climbs (and some brutish short ones). It starts in Stoke, so is pretty convenient for you. A lot of riders seem to use it to close off the season.

http://www.cftrust.org.uk/help/events/catandfiddle
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Have you also considered doing a few reliability rides? They may give you some smaller targets to aim for in Jan-Mar in the build up to your first Sportive of the season. Worked for me this year.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If you want hilly how about the Etape de Dales (Grassington) a cracking event in May.
    110 miles and 3500 m climb.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    :D hi graeme,if your up for a trip "up north "try the northern cyclone rides in june next year.Rode the 100 mile this year, found it to be well signed and well organized.make a weekend of it and watch the criterium on friday night,ride the sportive on saturday and then watch the proffesionals on sunday. Its quite hilly,but a good challenge with great scenery. best advice is enjoy whatever sportives you decide to do.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    vermooten wrote:
    It's in March, is pretty flat but with a bit of hilliness at around the 70 mile mark.

The `bit of hilliness' is the Mow Cop Killer mile 1:4! Echo the Cat and Fiddle suggestion further down though, it's tough enough for a 1st sportive (it's more of a fun ride really) and you sort of get to ride with Sean Kelly.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    John C. wrote:
    If you want hilly how about the Etape de Dales (Grassington) a cracking event in May.
    110 miles and 3500 m climb.
    That was my first ever sportive, way back in 2006. Seriously! They've all been easy after that.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    For this year why not look at the Flintshire challenge in n wales, MTB or road routes.