Faux Pas?

Ieuanllan
Ieuanllan Posts: 152
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I'm pretty new to road biking, and mainly just ride the to work and back, and occasionally go out for a thrash at the weekend, so bear with me!

Riding home from work today, I got overtaken by a guy who looked like a 'proper' cyclist (posh carbon bike, shaved legs etc!). He gave me some acknowledgement of my existence as he went past, but I didn't catch what he said.

I caught him at a red light, and we took the same road, him ahead of me. Having seen the way he steamed past me before, I expected him to disappear, pronto, but he didn't accelerate away, and I fell in behind him and ended up slipstreaming him for a few miles, until we went off in different ways. Having not said anything at all to each other.

I'm left wondering: Should I have taken the lead / offered to take the lead for a bit?
Did I annoy him, sitting on his wheel like a little fish with a shark?
Is it acceptable to sit in a stranger's slipstream without asking first or something?

Any opinions?
Apologies for the rambling post.

Comments

• If he was as good as you make him sound and he didn't want you sat on his back wheel he'd have had a go a burning you off - or at least that's what I sometimes do cycling round Cambridge :lol:

I've often found that round here the friendly decent cyclists that catch you up are quite happy to let you stick to them for a bit, often offering you a "tow" - if they want to sit on your back wheel after a while they'll tell you to have a go on the front.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Sometimes, you'll find that you can hang of the back of someone nice like this, but if you want to have a turn at the front you just can't push the wind like they can - so you end up riding slower and annoying them that way, or perhaps not even getting past them.

As you'll probably read on other threads, some people are quite happy to let you draft behind them. Others get really annoyed. In this instance, as Steve said (above), if he didn't want you there, I'm guessing he would've disappeared over the horizon.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    In this situation I'd ride up alongside, say hello and mention with a smile that I would be sitting on his wheel to get a tow. If I got the vibe that he wasn't keen on that I'd maybe drop back but I do think its a bit rude to just sit on someones wheel without saying anything. Bit like letting yourself in the back of someones car and getting out when he stops at tesco!
    Cycling is like any other part of life really, if you're interacting with someone its always nice to say hello.
  • Be aware that a posh carbon bike and shaved legs may only be evidence of having spare cash (or debt) and a forgiving partner. Many types in London on £4k bikes & Assos kit with significant beer bellies that you could see off on a Brompton. He may have put everything in to his effort to overtake you and then been gutted to find the red light ahead.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Fine as long as he knew you were tjhere - it is dangerous to sit close behind someone who is ignornant of your presence though. If they pull out suddenly to avoid an obstacle you'll be caught out. Similarly you may not spot pothole or obstacles when you are close behind someone and they wont point them out to you if they dont know you're there. I do get annoyed when I look over my shoulder immediately before pulling out and there's someone right up my @rse and I didnt know they were there. It is quite offputting and worries me - if they decided to pull out at the same time we'd touch wheels ond one or both would come off, so I never do this to other cycliists. I either stay well back or say hello alongside them and tell them I am going to drop back behind them, so that they know I am there.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Be aware that a posh carbon bike and shaved legs may only be evidence of having spare cash (or debt) and a forgiving partner. Many types in London on £4k bikes & Assos kit with significant beer bellies that you could see off on a Brompton. He may have put everything in to his effort to overtake you and then been gutted to find the red light ahead.

:lol: yeah true...

What happens when they try and burn you off but fail??? would they slow down to such a pace you have to pass them? surely that's just cutting your nose off to spite your face??

I had something similar on my way to work the other day

>>Clicky on commuting link<<
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • What happens when they try and burn you off but fail???

Stay with them :twisted:
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I'm left wondering: Should I have taken the lead / offered to take the lead for a bit?
    No, why bother? Save that stuff for organized rides and racing. As mentioned, in a commuting situation it could risk an accident.
    Did I annoy him, sitting on his wheel like a little fish with a shark?
    If so, that's his problem, but if you happened to rear-end him because he had to brake suddenly because of a late/non-signalling left-turning car or car pulling out of a junction or something – then you might annoy him and it be your problem too.
    Is it acceptable to sit in a stranger's slipstream without asking first or something?
    As with driving, keep a bit of a distance to allow for reactions/braking. If you really want to use a commuting situation as some kind of training, better to let him get a few bike lengths in front and then try and match his pace – while being aware of other road users, of course.
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    ooops. I did this to someone the other day. Didnt realise it was considered rude.
    I apologise to anyone who was cycling around twyford/ruscombe at about 6pm on tuesday if I was annoying you by cycling behind you. :oops:
  • I've only jsut started commuting, at what distance do you class someone as being sat on your wheel ?
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I was drafted for the first time ever last week and was rather flattered to be honest. It's not often I pass anyone when out on the bike but on seeing this guy in front I realised that although he was going at quite a good pace I would catch him on the uphills. I overtook him on a slight drag with a cheery 'hiya' and went merrily on my way. 30 seconds or so later I hear a car coming and glancing round there he is on my back wheel! That instantly put the pressure on, realising i couldn't be seen to ease off at all I felt compelled to keep and then up the pace. Still he drafted me, and on this particular section of quiet, rolling country lane you can easily get into a good rhythm. Gradually I upped it, to 23, 24, 25mph and still he was there!! Legs burning, lungs aching, pushing on - praise be we reached a junction and he went one way, I the other!!! Not a word was spoken but it was a good work-out. :D:D
    Still breathing.....
  • jonesy124
    jonesy124 Posts: 205
    how much of a difference does it actually make to ease of ride if you are drafting someone?
  • heavymental
    Well they say it can be up to 40% less effort. That seems alot but its a believeable stat when you try drafting someone on a windy day, pull out to take your turn and almost stop dead!
  • heavymental
    I dunno if it is considered rude generally but maybe as I live in the country and am less likely to see cyclists about I am more inclined to say hello. Guess its a bit different for those in more built up areas where you might pass, or be passed, by any number of cyclists on any given journey.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    jonesy124 wrote:
    how much of a difference does it actually make to ease of ride if you are drafting someone?

I was drafting a guy at 30mph+ on a club run, and it felt like I was barely pedaling!! great fun!! :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, only try and draft someone if you're confident enough to ride safely on their wheel. If they know you're there, then any considerate cyclist would care to point out any forthcoming obstables in or on the road - if he doesn't, don't be surprised if he suddenly switches to miss a pothole and you hit it square on. It takes about 20% less effort to follow a wheel and increases with the size of the group too. It really depends on the each individual, but working hard to catch somebody and then latching on unannounced is bad manners - if you catch somebody come through, give an acknowledgement and take the front. They'll be happy for the ride or maybe they'll try and drop into a smaller sprocket, but at least you've done your bit. Sometimes I'm quite happy to tow someone if just bimbling along on a recovery ride on my own...but other times I've just dropped and sprocket or two and disappearred up the road, particularly the ones that try and pass by without the courtesy to say hello.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ieuanllan
    Thanks for the feedback folks,

I normally do say hello to any other cyclists I see on my way to and from work - I too ride mainly rural roads, and most people respond in kind with a friendly wave or word. This particular guy gave some kind of acknowledgment as he passed me, to which I responded with a slightly breathless "Hiya!", but that was it for communication.

If something like this happens in the future, I'll be sure to pull alongside and greet them properly before dropping in behind them, it did feel slightly rude on my part at the time, hence my post here, and now I've learned something from it.

Cheers

ieu
  • I drafted a young lad on a scooter on the way home last night after he screached up alongside me at the traffic lights. He didn't say hello, and he did look very pi**ed when he was posing to a couple of girls walking along the road, looked behind to check them out and saw me a foot off his back wheel. :lol:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Ieuanllan
    Fantastic :lol::lol:
  • A few weeks ago I caught a rider on a rural road, but didn't want to slipstream or overtake so I just slowed down and sat 3 or 4 car lengths off of his rear wheel until he turned off - gave a wave and said 'bye!' My theory is always let on - the person you ignore today may be the one who returns the 'compliment' when you need some help.
  • felt-up
    felt-up Posts: 3
    [how much of a difference does it actually make to ease of ride if you are drafting someone?]

I reckon it's about 10% per person in front of you up to a max of 40%. It does make a massive difference cycling in a group or even just two up. You learn to appreciate why time trials are called the "Race of Truth".....

I don't think drafting / pulling etiquette is an issue when you're commuting, but would be if you were racing or out on a club run. It's more a safety issue. Personally I'd prefer not to be drafted by someone in whose ability to do so safely I was uncertain. After all, if you touch you could both end up under a bus!

And yes, I wouldn't view the shinyness of a person's bike and the smoothness of his legs as an accurate barometer of ability.... plenty of "all the gear, no idea" about!!
  • neilrobi
    neilrobi Posts: 14
    I've got the carbon bike, the Assos clothes and all the gear and I don't have much idea. I just started last summer and thought 'in for a penny in for a few thousand' and I say hello to all the cyclists I see. I even say hello to the horse riders and am snootily ignored by about 1/3 of them. Don't think all the gear means the guy is an expert. I am just an enthusiastic amateur! :)
    Say hi if you see me in red round South Northants!