Pannier Assistance Req.

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 582
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I have been riding with a rack and panniers for about 3 months now, but I have a problem every time I get out of the saddle and 'sprint'. The back end seems 'flap'; about. The panniers I have came from Halfrauds and have two hanging clips and a big 'locking' clip on the top and a hookat the bottom. I have the Massload rack from Halfrauds.

The top bit is easy as that just hooks over the top of the rack, but the hook at the bottom I currently loop round thew bottom 'strut' of the rack, but a colleague with a different rack has a bracket to clip too. My rack has this but it seems too high.

Should I be clipping onto this bracket?

Sorry for the length f the post....
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

Comments

• blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Panniers can be more stable if you secure them at the bottom but it depends on the top attachment as to how much this is necessary.

But by flap do you mean the panniers flap out from the rack or the whole back end of the bike seems to go mad?

My own bike doesn't handle well at all out of the saddle with panniers, the panniers don't flap out but the whole back feels like it's going crazy wobbling. It's not a proper tourer though and my panniers would be a bit behind the rear axle. Conceivably moving them forward would help this but I have them as far forward as they will go without pedalling into them. It's fine as long as I am seated.
  • Rykard
    But by flap do you mean the panniers flap out from the rack or the whole back end of the bike seems to go mad?

That sounds about it. I have experimented a little bit and it seems that I may be 'throwing' the bike around a bit too much when out of the saddle, need to remember it's not a bunch sprint lol

I think it is also the way I pack them, if the stuff inside them is rattling around then this seems to exaserbate the problem. I have altered the straps so they are held as tight as they can be. SO I guessI will have to see how it goes.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Rykard wrote:

That sounds about it. I have experimented a little bit and it seems that I may be 'throwing' the bike around a bit too much when out of the saddle, need to remember it's not a bunch sprint lol

I think it is also the way I pack them, if the stuff inside them is rattling around then this seems to exaserbate the problem. I have altered the straps so they are held as tight as they can be. SO I guessI will have to see how it goes.

You are meant to have a smooth pedalling action when you are out of the saddle on your pannier laden bike. I would argue that you don't have low enough gears to spin while in your seat. I never get out of my seat and still get up hills OK often faster than those attempting to honk up them.
  • Rykard
    I am commuting to work and I guess I get 'a little carried away'..... I am trying to stay seated, but occassionally sprint for a green light..
    Cheers
    Rich

• i also have mass load from halfords (btw r you doing the bad spelling to say they are fruadsters or somthing?). it's good ain't it, i don't remember how much it hold though cos i lost the packaging. i like all things heavy duty.
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!