Bikes on trains?????

sprintkid
sprintkid Posts: 315
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone got any idea as to weather I can take my bike on the train. I need to get from Ashford to London. :?
sprintkid

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    You can usually take bikes on trains, but the general rule of thumb is you can't take it on a train that reaches London in the peak hours.

These are quite wide ranging, or Thameslink it is something like trains that arrive between 7AM and 10AM, and on the way back, trains that leave between 4PM & 8PM.

Best ring your train operator and find out exact details though.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    sprintkid wrote:
    Has anyone got any idea as to weather I can take my bike on the train. I need to get from Ashford to London. :?

Sounds like you need this link for that particular journey;

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/ma ... age_id=121

Hope it's of use.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Weekends are no problem, so long as you don't try boarding a Eurostar train.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    It also sods law as Thameslink say you should use the front carriage where their is a dedicated cycle section. However as they use many former Southen Carriages these don't have these sections.

Has anyone got any experience getting through Blackfriars staion with their bike? Ideally i would love to go up their early on a Saturday morning.

I would love to start riding around central london again but an too unfit ATM to ride from my area to central london.
  • sprintkid
    sprintkid Posts: 315
    Thanks for the replies :D The reason I asked is because I want to get to London for the London freewheel. A days riding in London with no traffic and a few thousand other cyclist's sound's like a blast :D . Anyone else Doing the freewheel?
    sprintkid
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    sprintkid wrote:
    The reason I asked is because I want to get to London for the London freewheel. A days riding in London with no traffic and a few thousand other cyclists

You may find that a lot of others from your area have had the same idea and that the train's bike spaces are full before it reaches your station. Allow extra time in case you cannot get the first train you try.

Jon
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    sprintkid wrote:
    Thanks for the replies :D The reason I asked is because I want to get to London for the London freewheel. A days riding in London with no traffic and a few thousand other cyclist's sound's like a blast :D . Anyone else Doing the freewheel?

If it's for a big event like that, best to check with a local station well in advance to avoid any disappointment. For major cycling events like London-Brighton and the recent TdF visit, Southern and Southeastern both have a tendency to impose blanket bike bans rather than risk serious overcrowding.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    they'll proberbly make you book

and then when the train arrives you'll not be able to get on due to there already being two bikes on there regardless of the fact you booked

its happened too many times - so i've got a car.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    From my own own experience,I find the rules keep changing..Once it was so easy, nowadays some providers like Virgin require you book it on..allow it only if you have a sesat reservation etc..Some routes take just two bikes on a first come first serve basis..sometimes its the total discretion of the guard and how busy it is...Each line in each area of the country seems to have its own policy..
    jc