SPD's

indy360
indy360 Posts: 11
edited September 2007 in XC and Enduro
Hi All,

I have recently converted to SPD pedals. Can any one tell me what is the best/correct position of the cleat in relation to you foot? I think I may have them set to far forward as I seem to be on my toes to much. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on the ball of the foot.

have a read http://www.mbuk.com/grimetimedetails.asp?id=13
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    like nicklouise said, but also i think its also down to personal preference to a certain extent, e.g. i like mine pointing straight, but my mate has his at more of an angle. just whatever's most comfortable for you. it took me a few rides before i was totally happy with them. they're obviously easy enough to alter, so just tinker about with them a bit.
  • podracer
    podracer Posts: 24
    I have converted over about 1 month. I have very dodgy knees so cleat angle and placement was critical for me. As for how far forward they are I put my cleats as close to my heel as possible as this way reduces the strain on the knees. seeing as theres a lot of grind and spinning in mtb i felt that was the best approach.

I went spd on a road racer first for a few weeks to fine tune cleat placement.
    Keeping your bike on the road for a few spins makes it easier as the surface is more controlled and the cycling is smooth so subtle differences in cleat position will be felt quicker than off road. Once its right on road it will be off road.

my feet point out a fair bit ( charly chaplin style ) so i positioned the spd cleats pointing out to give me the best float possible.

I set my spd's with the weakest clamp possible so easy exit is possible.

I am very happy now with spd's and can't belive the collossal difference it makes to xc riding.

good luck with them.

Paul
  • sc0ttb88
    sc0ttb88 Posts: 33
    Hi, not sure if this warrants a new thread or not...

Would you recommend spd only or pedals that have spds but can also be used with normal shoes?

I'm def converting to them soon as i was at my first club nite on a local lead mine track and it was near impossible to climb without them!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spd both sides. the mixed are a pain in the butt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I use SPDs on my road bike (using mtb shoes) but still use flats with normal shoes no my mountain bike, I just like the freedom. I'm tempted to try them on the mountain bike, but I have one problem with them. I have relatively poor circulation and on longer rides I tend to start to get numb balls of my feet due to the pressure being in one place the whole time. My specialized shoes are really comfy otherwise. Can anyone think of any way I can stop this from happening? Cheers, and sorry if this seems like a bit of a thread hijack!
    Cheers
    N
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    nicklouse wrote:
    spd both sides. the mixed are a pain in the butt.

Yep, what he said. Started with one each side but just a pain.... you get used to SPD pretty quick, after a few bruises :oops:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    nikobe wrote:
    I use SPDs on my road bike (using mtb shoes) but still use flats with normal shoes no my mountain bike, I just like the freedom. I'm tempted to try them on the mountain bike, but I have one problem with them. I have relatively poor circulation and on longer rides I tend to start to get numb balls of my feet due to the pressure being in one place the whole time. My specialized shoes are really comfy otherwise. Can anyone think of any way I can stop this from happening? Cheers, and sorry if this seems like a bit of a thread hijack!
    Cheers
    N
    Stiffer soles on your shoes.
  • like mine pointing straight, but my mate has his at more of an angle.

Bizarrely i've found that I have the cleats aligned differently on my left and right feet - i.e. not symetrically. One points towards the bike, one away from the bike! Using trial and error I quickly found this a comfortable position so just stuck with it!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/