Are Velonews readers on crack?

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,133
edited August 2007 in Pro race
I ask because of the letter from Jon Trent in San Antonio, Texas on the following link;

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13096.0.html

:shock:

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That's pure gold. And who says Americans don't do savage irony? :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ahhh, but has it crossed anyone's mind that the profit in it for Tailwind wasn't big enough, so they bailed?

What I mean is, they could get a sponsor, but the shareholders wouldn't make any cash, so why bother.

I'd guess the reason Disco bailed earlier in the year is they weren't seeing any ROI on Armstrong, which is basically what they were paying for with an attached cycling team.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Tail wind and slipstream - words that are both part of teh same jargon? With Landis' doctor, previously 'secret' sponsors, guys who were sacked from other teams. What's that pong - fish?
    A born cynic me....
  • Kléber
    It's sometimes interesting to see the gulf between European and American views on sport. The letter writers on the cyclingnews.com pages are interesting. Today's contribitions are interesting, what do you make of the "Discovery Folding" letters?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters.php? ... -17letters
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Kléber wrote:
    That's pure gold. And who says Americans don't do savage irony? :wink:

I do. He was serious.
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Kléber
    That's why I put the :wink: in there. I was being sarcastic.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Clearly the squinternet is no friend of subtle and reasoned irony on either side of the big water. :D

or maybe :P

Strava is not Zen.
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    You gotta remember that Lance Armstrong has a quasi religious following. The story of his fight from cancer is a modern day miracle, a tale of ressurection. Hollywood was close to making a film of his life.
    For old time cycling fans in the US, he's the guy who made their sport popular, for new fans he's the reason they got into the sport, to be like Lance. And these people look indifferent compared to the 'cancer community' who adore him, for the hope he has given and the bucks he has raised.
    Even in Britain, the most popular attire is US Postal Service or Discovery Channel.
    So small wonder many don't question a word he and his PR entourage pump out.