Q: Why are peoples avatars so rubbish on this site?

redrobbo
redrobbo Posts: 727
edited August 2007 in Campaign
A: They are like the rest of it

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Probably becasue the 'old site' didn't have avatars and people (like me) haven't got round to/felt the need for avatars...
    Rich
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm still not entirely sure what they are.....

and why (if they re what i think) are they called avatars...never heard that word before
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I can't get the picture small enough. nI make it 5k and you can't see it. even then it won't recognise it. I've tried Jpeg Tiff x y and z.

I've followd the instructions when advised by links but it fails continually.
    I am getting pissed off to be honest.

Does it show? :twisted:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Is that any better...
    Rich
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Try saving it as a gif, not a jpg.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Every other avatar in this thread is a jpg.

Strange...

but true ( at the moment)

Just been to look at others

the majority( of the ones I have seen) are jpgs
    Only one is a gif

George
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    dont think it matters as long as it's under 10k? Easier to achieve with a gif true, but jpg still doable.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    fluff. wrote:
    dont think it matters as long as it's under 10k? Easier to achieve with a gif true, but jpg still doable.
    IIRC the advice was that it should be no more than 1k and 80 x 80 pixels. The image itself dictates whether it is best optimised as a GIF or JPeg.

My avatar is a JPeg (1.001 k) and would be far larger as a GIF. If anyone wants, I'll give optimising their avatar a go. E-mail it through my profile.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    mine is a huge 7.6k! Apologies to all those people using 2400 baud modems :)
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm still not entirely sure what they are.....
    They're the little square pictures some people have to the left of their posts.
    and why (if they re what i think) are they called avatars...never heard that word before
    An Avatar is, by Hindu tradition, a tangible manifestation of some higher being (a God, for instance).
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Mine's supposed to be http://lordandmaker.co.uk/cookie.jpg

But it's too big, and since I've got this Mac I seem to have lost any image processing applications, and I'm not bothered about it enough to do it on something else.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Well MY av is not rubbish.....it's almost lifesized!!!!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    An Avatar is, by Hindu tradition, a tangible manifestation of some higher being (a God, for instance).

So mine is pretty much the perfect earthly avatar then?

What higher being is there than the lord of all grimpeurs?

What could be more tangible than a tin toy?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)