saracen?

lfcboro
lfcboro Posts: 10
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
hi all seen a new saracen bike i like the look of! had a few mountain bikes ranging fron claud butlers, and a specialized rock hopper! this one is only £300 biftas! I would be using it for x-country and forest tracks mainly! any help thnx? I would have a budget of around £400! http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2162.html

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Have a look at the Carrera Fury. Approx. £440... Full hydraulic brakes (not cable pulls like the Saracen), decent fork, groupset, etc....

That's what I did anyway :wink:
  • Giant XTC 4.5 £25 over your budget.
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • stanny
    stanny Posts: 28
    You're not going to find anything better than the Mantra 2 for £310
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    I got a mantra 1 and its excellent. new set of hydralics coming soon!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The mantra is not an XC bike, it is saracens budget hardcore hardtail, and is a lot heavier than other bikes at this price. But it is good for what it is intended to do. GT Avalanche 2.0, Carrera Kraken and Mongoose Tyax Super all good capable xc/trail bikes.
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    If you can wait a few weeks 2007 bikes are going to be reduced in price and 2006 bikes even more so - I've just bought a 2006 model for over £150 less than list price. You might make that £400 stretch a little further.
    :wink:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • deanvw
    what is it then?
  • supersonic
    Saracen market it as 'Extreme XC' rather than MTB XC like the Dirtrax, which are akin to the other bikes I mentioned. The Extreme range uses a very heavy wheelset, and the bike is several pounds heavier than others. Better for country and trails, but would be a good choice for gnarly technical riding with drops!
  • deanvw
    soo. that meens that it can be used for dirt. and skate parks (not harshly tho)

generally my bike does a bit of eerything from xc to downhill!
  • supersonic
    Well, maybe more harsh stuff than your regular XC!
  • deanvw
    well i did manage to snap a Appollo XC.26 in half and bent a Saracen Hazzard frame!
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I've got a Mantra 1 and it's HEAVY! I've had it since early December 06.

The Cable discs (Tektro Io's) aren't bad, they stop well enough actually, but there's not a lot of modulation/feel.
    I binned the standard forks (RST Gila T7+) and put a set of Marzocchi MX Pros on it. The fact that the RST's don't have any damping nearly killed me twice.
    The standard pedals got binned too and a set of 24/7 freeride ones are on it now.

a few points to note:

The Front Cogs:
    The (chainset/groupset/whatever it's called) are bobbins.
    I've already worn the teeth on the granny ring into hook shapes and sometimes when changing from the granny ring, up to the middle ring, it grabs the chain.

The Weight:
    It's REALLY heavy.
    It's nice and reassuring on the rocky descents at speed, but when it comes to the climbs, it's a touch weighty.

The Wheels.
    They weigh a ton, but all the rides I have been on so far have involved me hitting big rocks at speed and landing sideways on big rocks to some degree or other and the wheels are still totally straight. They're chipped and battered to hell, but they run perfectly straight. so, they may be heavy, but they're hard as nails.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • deanvw
    same as my wheels then! :lol:

i aint worried about weight.
  • Mate, appollo snapping is nothing tbh, they are pretty crap