No stopping me!

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I am chunky dude, and I am having problems stopping my Genisis Day 01. I dont think its the bike, I just think I need better brake pads?..? or something. Any ideas guys.

cheers

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Perhaps you can explain in more detail what happens when you squeeze the brake levers?
  • Hmm, what do you mean by chunky? 13st, 14st?

There are a number of things you can check.

1) How worn are the pads? Or alternatively if you are sketched out by them - bin them.

2) Invest in some Shimano Dura Ace cartriges - outrageously expensive initially, but their compund is brilliant, and their pads are dead cheap.

3) Clean your rims. Pleanty of washing up liquid and a 59p kitchen brush from tesco. Scrub those babys down!

4) Check your brakes are set up correctly - when cold the levers should be full on a little less than approx half way through their travel.

"Chunky" shouldn't be a prob for your bike really.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Noel PT
    I'm a trainer so I carry a bit more muscle than I should. I'm just under 16stone, its part of the reason why I bought the bike. I plan to start dropping weight but it doesn't happen over night and I dont see myself ever getting much under 15.
  • Noel PT
    Sorry mate, the other question was what happens when I spueeze the brakes. It takes ages to slow down. So I dont think its the bike I just think it my extra weight.

thanks mate
  • BentMikey
    LOL, I was looking for a bit more detail than that, along the lines of how hard are you pulling the brake levers, can you make the back wheel skid, do the brakes make any noise, what's the condition of the brake pads and rims, etc.

My guess is there is some sort of mechanical problem, because with normal brakes you should be able to a) lock up the rear wheel, and in the dry and with sufficient skill b) lift the rear wheel by front wheel braking. Don't do b) though, I don't want you to crash the bike.

My guess is that the brakes are badly adjusted or worn. Take a look here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/brakes/index.html
  • Good effort on the sheldon ref. mikey - i was just about to do that!
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Not your weight - possibly the bike - my brakes will stop my bike from high speeds (40 mph plus) faster than I'd be able to hold on.

Give us some idea of the bits on it - any make, numbers. Are the rims steel (cos they are bad news) - It's not your so called size - I'm 13stone, not light, fairly powerful biker, I'm comfortable hitting this speed and stopping it.

If it's a couple of hundred quids of bike from Halfords/or a shop, then they don't stop too well. Tell us what you've got, we'll recommend some changes.
  • Noel PT
    Its a Genisis Day 01
    Never come close to skidding the rear wheel and no chance of a endo. The bike is still pretty new. I bought it three months ago at the most. No noise etc

Cheers for the link, I got the day off tomorrow so I will get stuck in and see if I can find the problem.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I have the same poblem (i'm just fat though!)

they re not tektro brakes are they?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • BentMikey
    And here's the other recommended site, Park Tools:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

I don't think 16st is too heavy, your bike should have no trouble stopping you mate.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    If it's not all muscle put more miles in, but be careful. You'll shed the weight and it won't be a problem. :wink:
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    I am a little over 16st :-) and have no problem. I have cantilever brakes on aluminium rims on an old rigid Scott mtb
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Yantmk
    Yantmk Posts: 12
    3 months old. has it been back for a check up? the cables have prob bedded in and streatched.
  • Noel PT
    some good ideas guys, will give them all a check. Glad to hear its not my weight, cause I cant see that dropping to much.

cheers guys
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Hmm, what do you mean by chunky? 13st, 14st?

LOL, when did 13st become chunky????
  • Well, most of my male friends are 13st or there abouts, so I kinda based it on that!!

Though I struggle with judging body weights due to anorexia in my mid-late teens, I'm 10st now and have to be very careful to only weigh / look at myself naked in a mirror when I am feeling particularly good. Going swimming with my friends is still a big stumbling block, I managed it on holiday with them in Spain a few times, but couldn't face it as often as I would have liked.

So my guesses about weights are pretty unreliable :D:wink:
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    edited August 2007
    Changing post for stupidity reason's!!!

Jacomus, 6' and 10st is pretty slim, sheesh, you must be fast going up the hills!!!
  • ddraver
    do you feel..as i doo..that your putting in loads of work at the lever but the brake pads are nt biting that hard?!

it was horrible today!!
    - @ddraver
  • Not a stupid question at all, and to answer it I am a man.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Haha, there was no need to change it EMD - perfetly valid question considering the androgenous nature of my name (thanks mum and dad!), and asked with respect.
    Eat My Dust
    ...sheesh, you must be fast going up the hills!!!

I do love climbing :D
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Spec I found online for a 2007 bike

Front Brake: Tektro 356 Dual Pivot
    Rear Brake: Tektro 356 Dual Pivot
    Brake Levers: Shimano ST-R220
    Rims: Shimano
  • I recon there is your problem, and its spellt Tektro 356!
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • ddraver
    i was wondering............
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    i'll swap my love of food for some of your problem s jack

if only......
    - @ddraver
  • BentMikey
    Even the Tektros should be quite capable stoppers, although perhaps not brilliant.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    maybe your rims are greasy. you haven't been spraying lube anyway near them have you?

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • ddraver
    nah fixed it with some new (shimano) brakes

they re not even expensive ones but its like riding a new bike
    - @ddraver
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    what exactly did you change?
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • ddraver
    me.....the brake calipers (and so the cables too)....
    - @ddraver