Fork options for my Colnago

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
edited August 2007 in Workshop
My situation is this: Summer bike is a Colnago Dream, which I love, but following shoulder pain and proper bike fitting I have come to realise that my bars were too low. I have a steeply rising stem at the moment to perfect my position, but being my best bike and all this is not the ideal situation.

So, new forks time (flash carbon at the mo). For a new pair, I have been quoted £250 (entry level Colnago one). Which seems a heck of a lot to me! No joy 2nd hand on ebay thus far (least not one with long enough steerer tube).

Has anyone out there in webland got any suggestions for alternatives that would be as in-keeping with the originals as possible?

Ta v.much in advance.

Graham.

Comments

• wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    you need to get the same rake to minimise the difference in handling characteristics. that should narrow down your options a bit.

if it suits, then the Look forks are pretty impressive IME.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You have a Colnago and now have the cheek to complain about the price of something, it's like buying a Bentley and complaining the services are pricey :wink:

Seriously, I'd consider forks from Look, Reynolds, Alpha Q or Easton. There are good models out there.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bernhard Hinault's book you needeth - proper way to set the bike up - will take you ages though. I followed it for all my bikes... and it's been brill - lost it now though ! doh !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As said, try and find something with the same rake, and a curved bladed one just looks sooooo wrong! so perhaps and Alpha Q which comes in a nice non-integrated, straight fork with tapered blades
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..