riding with broken ribs - good idea??

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
Just broke a couple of lower ribs in a car crash. The Doc says 5 or 6 weeks recovery time. When should I get back on my bike? Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• I would think when you can breathe deeply without pain, but really this is a question for your doc.

Marv.
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • passout
    I was thinking along those lines. I might drop the painkillers for a while and see.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Yes, speak to your doc.

Your chest wall never gets a chance to completely rest because it is always in motion as you breathe, and this slows down the healing process.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Stop being a lightweight and get out and do some intervals
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • probably not the best idea but then some would say neither is riding at 30+ in a millimetre thin skin suit on dual carriagways with lorrys going past.

I'm sure that you'd be safe in your sofa at home with a nice cup of coco. :)
    where's the fun in that :twisted:

there are no difficult decisions in life
    Have a good ride :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • passout
    Hrmm.........I think that you have actually clarified things for me: I can't take any more cocoa, I'm going out riding soon anyway and maybe I was just looking for some more justification before doing so. It's been a few days, the pain is steady/predicatable and I'm off the pain killers - I'll go out for a test run in the next couple of days.
  • andicp
    andicp Posts: 9
    Done the same injury a couple of years back. Try a gentle ride and if you can stand hitting bumps then you will be ok to ride. But do listen to your body. I found that riding was actually quite easy provided you avoided steep hills. Be warned though, any crash will be excruciating :shock: and ribs take quite a while to heal.
  • passout
    Thanks - sound advice. Posted a similar question on another thread regarding off road riding and the result is that I'm going to avoid MTBing for a month and stick to my road bike. I don't want to set myself back with a crash - I'll miss the steep hills though!
  • andicp
    andicp Posts: 9
    Oh and remember to NEVER sneeze! :?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yep, even with cracked ribs, I found sneezing to be the most pain I've ever experienced! I read somewhere recently that you should put your arms round yourself in a hug when you are about to sneeze. Not sure if it works though - do report back...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • A long time ago, before I knew better, I broke a rib when I fell and was run over by one of my fellow riders. Unable to ride because of the pain I decided to go swimming instead.

Physicists amongst us will know that water exerts pressure when you get in it, so not only could I not swim, I could hardly breathe!

Broken ribs, or any significant chest injury hurts a lot. It is difficult to stop breathing for the 4-6 weeks it will take to heal. You will heal with time, but listen to what your body is telling you, if it hurts a lot you probably should not be doing it. Regular analgesia is generally recommended, and it is never wussy to take the painkillers.

S
    EmergBiker