Specialized Hardrock Sport - advice for a beginner

naddy-noodle
naddy-noodle Posts: 9
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
I'm looking to get into biking just really to improve my fitness and give me something to do. I'm planning on riding mosty on roads, canal towpaths and the odd off-road track but nothing too heavy, (certainly not yet anyway!)

I was thinking of buying a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. I was looking at a 2006 version as I thought buying the last model might save me a few quid and to be quite frank I preferred the look of it!

I'd welcome anyone's opinions of this bike for a beginner including where I might still be able to get hold of one at a decent price. Plus if anyone can recommend alternatives then I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Although I've not actually ridden this bike, my brother in law and my sister both have the 2006 Hardrock Sport (with Hydraulic Brakes).

I've been on a few rides with them, including Cwm Carn Twrch Trail.

Both bikes held up very well and my brother in law certainly puts it through it's paces!
    Craig Rogers
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Try doing a quick search of the forum

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=hardrock

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=hardrock

These two thread had some stuff that may be of interest. :)
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its best that you try any bike first, and if you are new, buy locally to take advantage of the service. I find the Hardrock to be overly heavy, and has a awful fork.
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    I have a Hardrock 06 Sport disc for over a year now and I love it to bits. It is heavy and the fork is crappy but I can't imagine you would get much better in the price range, the whole bike is very sturdy and nothing broke in the year I rode it.
  • hemmy
    hemmy Posts: 6
    I've been commuting on a 2006 spec hard rock sport (v - brake) for the last year now and have have put about 6000 miles on the clock! The bikes got good geometry, which certainly inspires confidence. The frames heavy but solid, and a sensible change of tyres, unless you plan to exclusively ride dirt tracks, will more than make up for the weight.
  • supersonic
    I just think there are better to be had - Spesh seems to have been left behind in this price band. For about the same price as the Hardrock Sport Disc you can get the Avalanche 2.0 Disc, which has a better frame, 3lbs lighter, damped fork, hydrauilic discs and better drivetrain.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.

Supersonic - I've seen the 2007 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc for £270. Pretty good price I thought - is there anything good about the 2.0 that hasn't been carried over into the 3.0? Basically would you still recommend the 3.0?

Thanks.
  • Ignore my last post - I thought the 3.0 replaced the 2.0 but a little more research has proved that I'm a spanner!!

Is the 3.0 any good anyway??
  • supersonic
    Its a good entry level machine. Have a look at the what bike stickied thread in the General section of this forum.
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    I started off looking at the Hardrock, but having sat on the GT Avalanche 3.0 I have now ordered the 2.0d (or hoping to subject to stocks at my LBS's supplier). The difference is that the fork doesn't lock off and the 3.0 comes with V brakes on the £250 model or Disks on the £300 one.
    I hada ride today and it is sooooooooo much nicer than my current rigid Scott- can't wait to try it at Dalby!
  • OK, OK....decision nearly made, (I think!)

Any final advice welcome on the Mongoose Tyak Elite Disc versus the GT Avalance 3.0 Disc.

From what I've read on these forums and elsewhere they both seem good entry level bikes and cost roughly the same. Does anyone have any experience of both or either?

Thanks again.
  • supersonic
    The tyax would get my vote, much better fork.
  • So today I went on a little tour of my local bike shops, (or LBSs - I'm getting down with the kids!)

Very umimpressed with two shops in Brum where the staff there seemed to know less than me after a bit of trawling on the internet. Plus they didn't stock the bikes they claimed on their websites - despite also coming up on the dealer locator.

Anyway, eventually ended up in my nearest one with a very knowledgeable and helpful guy (and a unfortunately a good salesman!) who seems to have talked me into a Gary Fisher instead. I going back later this week to try a 2008 Wahoo Disc for not much more than the Avalanche 3.0 and if he's really good at his job maybe a 2008 Marlin, (unlikely though!)

Thanks for the advice people.
  • supersonic
    Wahoo has nice frame and parts, but fork lets it down really badly - turns a potentially great bike into an also ran.