Maglia Rosa more prestigious than Rainbow stripes ?

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited August 2007 in Pro race
Interesting thread develloping on this board with the order of importance jersey thread Seems i am in a minority here with thinking that the Maglia Rosa for a Giro win is the 2nd most prestigious jersey after the Yellow. I just cant buy the idea that a one day race can be more prestigious than the winner of a Grand Tour . I give you Igor Astorloa wins the WRR in fine style and does squat diddly since, nah for me the Maglia winner supercedes any one day race.

cheers
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Things change. It wasn't that long ago when the Giro would turn up all sorts of winners "unheard of" outside of Italy and the jersey had all the cachet of the Vuelta. Its only relatively recently (in Grand Tour terms) that the Giro has moved backto being a very desireable race.

"But remember, consumers, kudos can fall as well as rise"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    For a one day race, the World's is overvalued. I think a lot of the kudos has to do with the commercial value of being able to sport the Olympic rings on your jersey for a whole season, and on your sponsor's bike, saddle etc.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>