Post Counts....

bigdawg
bigdawg Posts: 672
edited August 2007 in Campaign
whats the big deal??

Personally I dont see why its there in the 1st place, cant see any relevence in how much time you waste on, err how much you contribute to, the forum, but some peeps were getting pretty angry, and threatening to leave, cos their post count was deleted... what am i missing..??
dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....

Comments

• bigdawg wrote:
    whats the big deal??

Personally I don't see why it's there in the 1st place, cant see any relevance in how much time you waste on, err, how much you contribute to the forum, but some peeps were getting pretty angry, and threatening to leave, 'cos their post count was deleted. What am i missing?

If someone feels they genuinely make a contribution to a forum community, by answering questions and so on, then their post count reflects the effort they've put in.

In any case, it clearly WAS important to a lot of people. The dev team gave us the tool we needed to fix post counts and we did so - and will carry on doing so if anyone else asks.

And of course we can now start doing what so many have accused us of and really start milking this forum financially. Yes, I can reveal that the Big Plan all along has been to sell post counts. Attain instant forum credibility today with a ten-figure post count! No knowledge or effort required!

20 quid per thousand, straight to my numbered Swiss bank account please.
    John Stevenson
  • Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    bigdawg wrote:
    whats the big deal??

Personally I dont see why its there in the 1st place, cant see any relevence in how much time you waste on, err how much you contribute to, the forum, but some peeps were getting pretty angry, and threatening to leave, cos their post count was deleted... what am i missing..??

In the past people have used some clever tricks with punctuation etc to impersonate regular posters. There was a recent one with Flying Monkey, a highly respected C+ poster, and the only way to spot the imposter was the post counts.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    One reason why they should be kept on: The legend that is Keith Oates and his truly awesome post count. :shock:
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Posts count! :lol::lol:

Well I thought it was funny. :P
  • So 100 posts of absolute twaddle mean more than one philsophical gem?

Interesting value system...
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    Melvil wrote:
    One reason why they should be kept on: The legend that is Keith Oates and his truly awesome post count. :shock:
    he's top of the pops at cyclechat too (now his favoured forum), took the "yellow jersey" off me when i went on holiday a week ago and has never looked back. arch and mister paul fill the next two places.

seems quiet over here these days, wonder why :wink:
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    It seems to be the best system yet devised for roughly working out the value of someone's contributions to an online forum.

If anyone's got any better ideas, I'd love to hear them, but I've been asking since I first started using forums, and I've not yet heard anything more accurate, let alone workable.

The nice thing with postcounts is that they're automatic - the server does the adding up automatically. In general, the more someone posts on a forum, the more helpful they are - few people stay on a forum to post utter twaddle. The kind of forum that attracts that kind of person (the MBUK sandbox, for example) tends to have admins that recognise this, so post counts are frozen in them.
    I've used forums in the past that tried a kind of voting system, where people rated answers. The problem with those is twofold. The first is that it relies on people actually rating posts, which they tend not to do. The second is that it relies on the expertise of the people doing the voting, and so is no more accurate than just a standard post count. We cannot rely on the person asking the question to do the voting, since if they knew what the correct answer was they wouldn' t be asking it. If we rely on the people posting the answers, clearly they're going to vote to boost their own status.
  • I have to say that IME post counts never seem to tell you anything, other than the contributors post count obviously.

I've been on some forums where the post count is divided by the user's length of membership to give a post rate. That would be, I suppose, a good way of showing how much time the member spends on the PC and conversely how little time they spend cycling.

Voting systems are open to abuse and, as stated, apathy.

No system can account for a contibutor's experience and expertise.
  • The general rule is that criticism of the post count system comes mainly from those with low post counts.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Surely its quality , not quantity, that really counts.
    A poster could just makes quips at everyone's posts and amass a large post count, but what does that prove.

In the early days of the web I was on one forum that used musical instruments to denote the number of counts, from piccolo to bass drum , or something like that.

IMHO it is only bass drums that care about post counts, it's like a neighbour who "believes" they have more rights because they have lived there longer than you.

Post counts have their uses on an each forum, but in the end all they show is how much time a poster spends on there
    If they are important to you then that's OK by me. but I won't worry about mine, well not too much.

george
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    edited August 2007
    The general rule is that criticism of the post count system comes mainly from those with low post counts.

Or to look at it another way people with high post counts are very insecure because they can't think of another way to prove their worth.

Frankly if you have time to read every thread and contribute then frankly you have your priorities all wrong. There are much more worthwhile things you could be doing with all that time. Ride your bike, spend time with your friends and family...

This discussion reminds me of our old school cycling club. Most of us had what would now be described as "budget" or "entry level" bikes, but we had no illusions; we knew they were merely cheap bikes. There were a small handful who owned expensive bikes, who were always upgrading components, or replacing the entire bike thanks to the generosity of mummy and daddy. These people always measured their relative worth by the cost of their mounts. Strangely however they hardly ever came out on club rides. Their excuses were, more often than not, that their bike was off the road while they replaced a key component or that they had pulled a muscle riding a solo 200 mile trip the previous week. It was more important to them to turn up at club meetings and compare bikes than it was to actually ride those bikes.

Put me off cycling clubs for life.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    jibi wrote:

Oh yes, I don't think anyone's denying that. There's just no way to measure someone's posting quality, so we provide a measure of quantity instead.
  • The general rule is that criticism of the post count system comes mainly from those with low post counts.

ha ha post of the week that!!!
  • Big Red S wrote:
    jibi wrote:

Oh yes, I don't think anyone's denying that. There's just no way to measure someone's posting quality, so we provide a measure of quantity instead.

If you agree that quantity is irrelevant, then why bother measuring recording it in the first place?
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Post counts, schmost counts.... :roll:

Given that at least one erstwhile MBUK forum member has a six-figure post count which is somewaht implausible*, it's all a bit meaningless at the end of the day, isn't it?

Which is why I found some of the moaning and dripping about missing post counts a little hard to take even the remotest bit seriously...

* Then again, I remember suggesting a couple of years ago that Keith Oates, C+'s most prolific poster, wasn't a real person, but was actually a computer program based around a random post generator. :twisted:

Somebody only went and knocked up a script or macro that posted "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" as fast as the forum's flood control would allow... :lol:
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)

ha ha post of the week that!!!

QED
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    edited August 2007
    So everyone who leaves here, comes on this site to only complain of losing their post count,
    But, at the same time, on the other site it's OK to have a low post count

Clear as mud. I mean its perfectly logical isn't it!!!

george
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    i never left but appear to have lost mine... :?

c'est la vie....
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I'm coming back up under Andy Gates again, after spending some time on top of him.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • I'm coming back up under Andy Gates again, after spending some time on top of him.

I'm under Arch at Cyclechat. :oops:
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I spent a while coming and going under and on top of Arch here, then she just came strong and rode away from me.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K