Help, technique

Chucker_Dude
Chucker_Dude Posts: 209
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
Every 3 or so rides i go on, i seem to wreck my bike!

I seem to be crashing the same way aswell. I always crash on a drop, I will land the drop fine and as i go to brake either to corner or to slow down, I go flying over the bars! Im using the front brake as ive been told to, and the back brake just makes the bike skid, and i may not stop in time :?

what am i doing wrong? Any advice?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to alter your breaking technique - don't use the front brakes in the corner! Keep you fingers over the levers and feather the brakes rather than just on/off. learn when the wheels lock and the difference weight shifts make.
  • Chucker_Dude
    ok that doesnt sound too hard, just need practice.

what about travelling fast downhill like after a drop?

weight back and use both brakes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep the bike straight, and control the bike on the brakes. Its about 'feel' - so yep, practice!
  • Chucker_Dude
    ok, once my bike is fixed im gonna ride my downhills 100 times to get my technique dialled! :D
  • Thantos
    Thantos Posts: 533
    What brakes are you running?
    Different makes produce different levels of 'feedback'.
  • Chucker_Dude
    Im running Tektro IO disc brakes, with 180mm front rotor.
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    At Dalby last weekend i came to the end of a very fast,steep run with a cunning double jump :shock:

I was going so fast i didnt see it till it was too late, made the first jump fine, but the second one came too fast for me to lift the front, basically the bike almost left my grip AND my feet left the pedals :roll:

Just about held it together by maintaining as low centre of gravity as possible :wink:

Which saved my pride since about 4 guys were at the bottom expecting the worst, but I ended up looking rather cool.....ish :twisted: :twisted:
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Mechanical disc brakes arn't as good as hydros, Deore hyrdraulics would be a good upgrade. Better tyres will give you more grip and will stop you sliding.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred