New bike for mrs??

steve134
steve134 Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
Hey guys would appreiciate any thoughts on this possible bike for the mrs. Thanks....
It will be used for xc and local park and through woods and trees.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... &catID=617

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Possibly, you'd have to try it for size. Have to say that the spec is rather poor - thats a truly awful fork that it sports, and can't see where else the money is.
  • steve134
    Ok point taken, but as my nearest lbs (2 min walk) says " this is a great bike for the money hence why i posted on the forum , sort of a double check. So my other lbs stocks giant,gt and mongoose and they are there main brands i feel that the shop i went to this morning was a bit of a bullshi**er. So me and mrs off to lbs next weekend to like you say" try a few out" Would you have any recommendations?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For 3-400 quid there are some superb bikes about for the trails. Do try mens bikes too - geometry varies from brand to brand so you sometimes find that a mans does the job perfectly.

For 400 quid the GT Avalanche 2.0 and Mongoose Tyax Super both have hydraulic disc brakes, damped forks and a good spec. Also there is the Trek 4500 - V brakes, but superb 9 spd deore running gear, disc ready, great fork and frame and a bit lighter than the others.

I always feel that for serious off road riding, the fork is a big factor at this price. Hydraulic damping makes a big difference and controls the front end, and this is one area where the Specialized is lacking.

The mongoose tyax elite at 280 is also a superb buy, with an outstanding fork but is a little heavy. The Giant Terrago also worth looking at.
  • steve134
    Ok ss cheers for that :D Like i said we will be off to lbs next week where a final decision will be made...
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    I bought my Mrs a --> Marin Bear Valley <---

She loves it to bits, i think its pretty cool too, even if its lipstick pink :lol: