getting fitter

dylancrisp
dylancrisp Posts: 116
edited August 2007 in Health, fitness & training
i am starting to getting a bit on the heavy side and i am going on an expidition to iceland next year so i need to start getting fit. i am 14 years old, 1.75m and around 70 kilos
does anybody have some good ideas to loose weight and get fit
thanks

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ride...ride...then ride some more...........

seriously

can you do a few evening rides during the week, for an hour or so, and then a decent long one at the weekend, get some cheap slicks and go on t road if neccesary (its not that bad!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dylancrisp
    ok i am pretty sure i can start doing more rides...i also play rugby and golf so that should help. would you say i was obese for my size and weight
    thanks
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    find out-do your body mass index or to be more accurate do your body fat index, just google it 8)
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • dylancrisp
    oh ok....
    it there any food i should try and keep away from
  • Big n Daft
    Big n Daft Posts: 418
    Dylan,

Your 14 years old.

Your metabolism will be running in overdrive, your still growing, don't worry about it.

As long as your not sticking vast amount of cakes, sweets, biscuits and fried foods down your throat you'll be fine......fruit, vegetables, nuts and grilled or baked foods are the things to be eating, your body needs certain amounts of sugars and fats for fuel, its just getting them from the right things.

Your a rugby lad eh? Good man! Mind you, i play second row as its the right position for my size (6'4" and coff coff ahem stone)

Sounds like your getting plenty of exercise and to be honest, 11 stone and 5'8 is not in any way fat.

Take no notice of the BMI thing, it takes no account of frame size, the best indicator is body fat index and to be honest, there is no better indicator of fitness than how you feel. If you can do everything you want without collapsing in a heap, your ok.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • dylancrisp
    nice...i play tighthead prop. lol i have already bashed somebodies tooth out and it left a scar on my elbow.
    ok thanks for the info
  • Rob15234
    Rob15234 Posts: 65
    dylancrisp wrote:
    nice...i play tighthead prop. lol i have already bashed somebodies tooth out and it left a scar on my elbow.
    ok thanks for the info

If you play that position then your going to weigh more than someone who say plays on the wing or doesn't play at all. I would worry about it, the first part of putting on muscle is generally putting on some fat to convert. Remember muscle weighs a hell of a lot more than fat!!

I hope its not yawnion you play.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    Cycling is unique. No other sport lets you go like that - where there\'s only the bike left to hold you up. If you ran as hard, you\'d fall over. Your legs wouldn\'t support you. ~Steve Johnson
  • I thought fat converting to muscle was a falicy?

Otherwise i'd be a 17 stone monster by now :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ukcraigb
    ukcraigb Posts: 113
    I thought fat converting to muscle was a falicy?

Otherwise i'd be a 17 stone monster by now :lol:

It is.

Thats like saying I'm going to grow my hair long in order to replace the tooth I lost last week when I feel of my bike.

Muscle and fat are two tottaly different substances.
  • dylancrisp
    I would worry about it

ıs that meant to be ı would worry....or ı wouldnt worry....