north face sat

mik...1
mik...1 Posts: 39
edited August 2007 in MTB rides
Anyone been there yet me and my m8 are going to go .

Comments

• Santibes
    Santibes Posts: 46
    Did this for the first time a week ago. It's about 10 miles round (same length as Llandegla red(ish))

we went round twice after a stop for lunch.

the first climb is not fire road & bit more rocky than I was used to, also with bits of boardwalk thrown in. Then a fire road climb. the rest is a good mix of undulating singletrack - rocky in places with bits of boardwalk & the inevitable fire road linking them (but good for a breather!)

I took a tumble on the boardwalk - er, only cos it was wet! but should be good in the dry.
  • mik...1
    Thanx for your input ,santibes i,m looking foward to this on sat :wink:
  • Yep, I live in the Lakes so have done it loads of times. A lot of people slag it off but it is great fun and well worth a look. I would suggest doing that in the morning and then exploring the Grizedale bridelways in the afternoon as there is some cracking riding to be had in Grizedale.
  • _Mike
    _Mike Posts: 20
    I ridden that trail a lot and overall I'd say it's worth trying. It's almost all contour singletrack so it doesn't have any lengthy descents, they are all very short with not many jumps or drops, apart from maybe the odd one which aren't that big. It has some nice board walk sections although these I think could do woth being a bit more technical. Overall though its a good ride as most of it is very flowing and fast.
  • djr2110
    djr2110 Posts: 74
    Agree with ridethelakes, read about a month ago on another topic that people didn't think much of it.
    Went there with the wife two weeks ago and had a great time. There is a good mix of trails and the boardwalk makes a change if you are not use to it (my riding is based in thetford), though in the wet they can make things amusing!
    Good friendly staff at the bike shop/hire and plenty of drink and food available!

Enjoy!
    Dave
  • mik...1
    Thanks everyone for your input and i,ll enjoy it by the sound of things :wink: .
    I,ll let you know what i thought of it sunday .
  • mik...1
    Right north face fell through ended up at the forest of bowland .
    There was a trail in mbr magazine and we couldnt resist it but unfortunatly we couldnt find it ,lol, we travelled everwhere trying to find the bridle path and we could,nt find it met some other bikers and wished them good luck as we were drenched all in all the trail was 30 k .
    And we ended up doing about 18k lol looking for it in the end a result for sat morning ride :lol:
  • mik...1
    Right north face fell through ended up at the forest of bowland .
    There was a trail in mbr magazine and we couldnt resist it but unfortunatly we couldnt find it ,lol, we travelled everwhere trying to find the bridle path and we could,nt find it met some other bikers and wished them good luck as we were drenched all in all the trail was 30 k .
    And we ended up doing about 18k lol looking for it in the end a result for sat morning ride on tarmac thou :D
  • jennys
    jennys Posts: 1
    i enjoyed it but as new to the boardwalks, and as they were wet, I was apprehensive and thought them technical enough for the uninnitiated !!
    Maybe a couple of practice ones at the centre would be good....confidence builders.
  • jennys wrote:
    i enjoyed it but as new to the boardwalks, and as they were wet, I was apprehensive and thought them technical enough for the uninnitiated !!
    Maybe a couple of practice ones at the centre would be good....confidence builders.

They are a little tricky if you're not used to them. Some of them are really wide and easy, others are narrow and off camber. Just practice the wide ones first and walk the narrow ones until you build up your confidence.

The first time I did the NFT I was on a night ride in the pitch dark and they were all iced up! Somehow made it through in one piece.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It's fine. The only 'problem' is that better routes exist on the surrounding bridleways. Walna Scar Road (Coniston area) if you want hardcare, Claife heights (Hawkshead) if you want nice c.country. Both are quieter and more interesting in my opinion.

If you are in Grizedale try to do the Silurian Way desent towards Esthwaite water from the visitor centre - now that really is fun and will challenge you more. You could incorporate into your ride.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • chemdog
    chemdog Posts: 31
    The NFT is alright depending on what level your at and what kind of riding your normally used to. I found it disappointing when compared to the 7 stanes but then it is worthy of one ride and linked in with other natural forest in the nearby area its much better and you can make massive and varied day from that.

As for the North Shore/Boardwalk, they should really put some chicken wire down on it, especially the parts over bog during winter theyre dangerous and there isnt an obvious alternative to get by them.

Enjoy (if you do get there!)