Map of TDF Climbs?

Fab Foodie
Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
edited August 2007 in Pro race
Anyone know of a map which shows the major TDF climbs in the Alps and Pyranees?

Staying in Perpignan area with family this summer...planning to do Ventoux (3 hour drive away), but have no idea where the other classic climbs are?

Anyone know?

Cheers, FF->.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
Fab's TCR1

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Try looking on www.letour.fr and clicking "English version" then "Route" then "stage 14" which looks like the nearest of this years climbs to Perpignan.

I have a French road atlas (bought for £1.50 from Aldi or Lidl) which shows all the climbs on it. It only takes a few minutes to find a lot of famous climbs - whether you can cycle them all (logistically or physically :wink: ) is another matter.
  • Fab Foodie
    Noodley wrote:
    Try looking on www.letour.fr and clicking "English version" then "Route" then "stage 14" which looks like the nearest of this years climbs to Perpignan.

I have a French road atlas (bought for £1.50 from Aldi or Lidl) which shows all the climbs on it. It only takes a few minutes to find a lot of famous climbs - whether you can cycle them all (logistically or physically :wink: ) is another matter.

Cheers Noodley me old midnight mate!
    2 hours drive away...maybe I can pursuade the other FF's that I really need a practice ride before Ventoux...Oh, and pigs might fly...

Fab's TCR1
  • try http://www.cyclingcols.com/.
    map on there in the cols tab. Port de Pailheres is probably the nearest. About an hours drive away
  • Fab Foodie
    try http://www.cyclingcols.com/.
    map on there in the cols tab. Port de Pailheres is probably the nearest. About an hours drive away

Excellent!
    Thanks fidgetyphil, just what I was after. Just Multimapped P de P, 2 hrs from our campsite, looks worthy for a training run!

Cheers.

Fab's TCR1
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Try

http://www.climbbybike.com/bikers.asp

It has pretty much all you could need.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Fab Foodie
    RichN95 wrote:
    Try

http://www.climbbybike.com/bikers.asp

It has pretty much all you could need.

Thanks RichN95

More Cols than you could shake a stick at!

Fab's TCR1
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Closer than Pailleres is Col de Jau, in the Tour a year or two ago, a quiet forested pass.

Now and again the Tour goes through Mont-Louis with its cols to the north and to the (not so interesting) immediate SW. The whole ride 65-70 km ride north to Quillan is good, later through gorges. They covered some of this stretch this year in the Tour, riding up the gorges before turning towards Pailleres.

Closer Perpignan, not ‘classic’ rides but the Col Xatard then Col Palomere to the SW of Ille-sur-Tete make a nice ride. And NW of Ille-sur-Tete towards Col des Auzines, there is a small winery at Tarerach which has the most delicious wines which you can taste for free.
  • I'd recommend the P de P. An excellent climb. You can go over then back by the Col du Pradel to make an excellent circuit. Road surface on the latter not so great though. Could return over the col de chioula but i don't know it.

Or start in Axat and go over the col de Jau, col du roque jalere and the col de aussieres to return to your car. Amazing scenery on next to deserted roads.

Axat is only an hour from Perpignan in the car.

Or try the ascent of the Mont Tauch above Tuchan. Steep for French roads.

All except Mont Tauch can be found with alll necessary stats etc on the very worthwhile site www.cyclingcols.com

Enjoy.

Jase