New bike

thesmellyone
thesmellyone Posts: 44
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
Hey guys I'm after a new commuter bike after lending my MTB to my girlfriend permanently.

have any tried/own/seen/have comments on the Specialized Globe Comp 1G8?

I like the idea of an integrated rear hub so it reduces maintenance greatly (i know conversely if it craps out it'll cause problems). Carbon forks are nice and it's a lot lighter and more commuter friendly than the old MTB.

Any reviews comments anyone can provide?

Cheers

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    No-one had given you any joy here, so I thought I'd write something...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22051 - 'zat it?

Looks pretty nice, and low on maintenance. Easier to keep your pants clean with only the one chainring too, which appears to have a guard? Similar to what I'd be looking at if my commuter scooter ever dies, I reckon. I'm not big on the suspension seatposts, but it'd be nice and cruisey I expect!
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Hi

I can highly recommend a "giant escape m1" , I commute 100+ miles a week on mine along pot holed country lanes.

Being 18 stone and hauling a heavy pannier it has to stand up to a fair bit of battering and it does this admirably.

The hydraulic disks are low maintainence and the group set does what it says on the tin!

Great bike.

Stu